[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - teisco et-230 project

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

teisco et-230 project

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by johnnyb » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:25 pm

my most recent piece of junk. aint she a beaut. total overhaul. straightend the neck, intonated, cleaned electronics, lubed up etc... was unplayable. plays like butter now. i love the tonal options on this guitar. its a screamer. it came without any mods. only missing 1 switch cover. everything else is stock. screws and all.

before. everything is siezed.

after. back to original full rolling glory

before

after

before. could barely move.

after. precision tuning.
johnnyb

by wedgehed » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:10 am

That looks great! What do you use for cleaning the hardware?
wedgehed

by johnnyb » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:52 am

i used to use wd-40 but i was never really happy with the results. it always took a lot of elbow grease to clean it up. this one was particularily bad so i used liquid wrench, which is what i also use for siezed bolts on my cars and motorcycles. i put all the pieces in a ziplock bag and let it soak for a little while. i put the bridge pieces in one and the tail piece in another so as to not mix up the screws. next i use a dremel tool with a plastic brush to remove the rust. dont use a wire brush, it will wreck whats left of the chrome. then if it needs it, i use the dremel with a jewlery buffing tip with some rosin and it shines right up, just like cheap jewlery. i then give it one last rub down with a rag and little liquid wrench to keep it protected. then assemble. the guitar smells for a few days but it goes away. another great cleaner for stubborn grime is a product called methode all purpose cleaner. you can get it at target. no smell, no colors non toxic, the stuff is amazing. it was the only stuff that would get the bugs off my faceshield. i was sold. cleaned the pickguard right up.
johnnyb

by Riccalljim » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:30 pm

For those in the UK who can't find the US product Liquid wrench, I have found that solvol autosol cleans pitted chrome up brilliantly. - use an old toothbrush to rub it in and another to get it off, or a nylon brush in a dremel of course!;-) - you can get autosol at most hardware stores and any of you in the north of England can get it at "Boyes" stores at a very god rate - packs of 10 toothbrushes can be got at your local pound shop....for a quid!
Riccalljim

by johnnyb » Thu May 01, 2008 9:01 pm

ive got to say, now that this guitar is dialed in and its seen a little use. its a bad ass twangin' machine. definetely at the top of the list of my favorites. i doubt ill ever let it go.
johnnyb

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts