[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Scam artist

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Scam artist

Direct Visitors to interesting guitars on eBay, alert visitors to items you are selling through online auctions or Craigslist. You can also report scammers and share stories related to online transactions

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by seaweb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:47 pm

Sorry my debut post is a bummer, and this is a note about a seller on eBay who doesn't seem to be honest.

The store is called Guitars West Viintage Guitars in Hemet, California.

I sent them an email to point out that a guitar they were offering (270156341890) was not a solid body, as listed, but a semi hollow body. Pretty common old guitar with common cheap guitar features (floating bridge, funky open tuners, low power pickups) and you'd only have to pick it up to realize it's not a solid body. Not a mistake I think a guitar shop would make. You, too, may be amazed to see they want $1300 for it.

Here was the response to my email to the guitar shop:
"Dude, I don't think you were worried about misinformation based on a sale. Your smart ass remarks about its worth and playing abilty were all you gave a shit about. A simple discription change is all you could have said. Instead, a stupid and inaccurate comment. Again, go fuck yourself."

Then, I noticed the 63 Fender Jaguar they were offering for $2900 (270152451649) had a decal on the headstock that wasn't used until 1968. It's not a pre-CBS Jaguar.

Here was the response when I pointed that out to them:
"Seaweed Idiot, No! You must be kidding?? Wow! We thought it was a 1963! Man, you are sharp. Daaaahhhh."

They also list a 71 Gibson Melody Maker for $1200 (270152451036) that has a headstock I don't recognize on SGs or MMs and some kind of low-impedence pickup set up, or maybe an Epiphone rig with different covers. The controls don't look familiar at all, and the serial number (thanks to Photoshop for seeing it) doesn't look right either. The whole thing looks like a Frankenstein job. I haven't gotten a reply about that yet.

So, I sent in the listing violation notices for the first two to eBay, but you know, it's not likely they'll find a way to stop these guys if they intend to rip off buyers.

I thought this forum might be the right place to post the news and maybe save someone some disappointment. I'd be happy to hear comments about me wasting my time, or warnings about other eBay sellers. For the curious, you can see dozens of guitars these guys have for sale on eBay, and have fun trying to figure out what they really might be. From their email responses to me, I wouldn't be surprised if a few on this board don't recognize guitars that have gone missing.

It only takes a few obvious lies and a "fuck you" from a seller to warn me away.
seaweb

by VintAxe » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:47 pm

Thanks for the warning seaweb. I have no tolerance for rude and deceitful sellers. Your post is appreciated. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by frankpaush » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:24 am

... yes, seaweb, your last sentence sums it all up: the style of their answers is a warning itself.
frankpaush

by theehman » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:17 am

The Old Kraftsman is actually a Kay model I've seen used by Jimmy Reed. I have a single pickup Kay version. The neck's like a baseball bat but it is a nice guitar.

The SG is a 70's SG-200 (see one here with a more realistic price: ebay item 170145147998). Sounds like that store can't be bothered to do proper research for their auctions.
Ron Neely II
The EH Man, All-Knowing Guru of Electro-Harmonix
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs
theehman

by seaweb » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:33 pm

Yeah, I like those Kays, too. I have (embarassed) three single-pickups, one double-pickup, and one triple-pickup (some are Kay and some are Kraftsman). I play the blonde single-pickup all the time. I bought them because I liked the first one that much...and they were cheap. But, string bending with that floating bridge means I tune up a lot.

Maybe while we're on this side topic: any ideas about how to stop the pickguard on these Kays from rattling? I've said no to little rubber washers around the screws (like, those rubber bands you get at the orthodontist) because it would lift the pickguard, and I know I'd be slicing my knuckles up soon enough. Tight screws don't solve it either. It has to be some kind of pillow under the pickguard, doesn't it?
seaweb

by theehman » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:22 am

[quote="seaweb"
Maybe while we're on this side topic: any ideas about how to stop the pickguard on these Kays from rattling? I've said no to little rubber washers around the screws (like, those rubber bands you get at the orthodontist) because it would lift the pickguard, and I know I'd be slicing my knuckles up soon enough. Tight screws don't solve it either. It has to be some kind of pillow under the pickguard, doesn't it?[/quote]

Maybe a little RTV on the underside of the pickguard? I used it to quiet the side panels on some rackmount stuff I built at work.
Ron Neely II
The EH Man, All-Knowing Guru of Electro-Harmonix
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs
theehman

by W9Z9PW » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:20 am

Thank you for the alert!
W9Z9PW

Return to Online Auction Guitar Listings and Alerts

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts