[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - New guitars?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

New guitars?

Here is the place to post your latest discoveries related to guitars, amps, effects, books, websites, etc. Let us know what you have found.

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by simonm » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:06 am

A few times recently I've played new guitars in stores in central London near where I work, just to see how they feel/play, but I've got to say I haven't been impressed. This might not come as a surprise - I have only been playing lower end names (eg Melody Maker '59 reissue, Epiphone 57 Junior, new Hagstroms etc) , but I read the reviews of these gtrs on HC and I don't know what to think. Older guys with a lot of guitars (uh, like me) seem to like em, but ...

Maybe it's the poly finishes, but none of these feel good to me, most are really heavy and lifeless, and it's disappointment as I'd like to have a new guitar without worn frets or dodgy pots or other problems, that I can just play, that will be kinda cheap. Any ideas? I was looking at the new Dano Pro online, but they aren't in the UK yet AFAIK. I don't mind mail order as long as I can play an example in a shop beforehand.

Dunno though, maybe I should stick to the oldies.
simonm

by frankpaush » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:42 pm

... lots of chinese products feel lifeless, yes.
And maybe it is just the fact they didn't have a life. yet. Some Fender CS feel quite ok, even some American Standards or Deluxe. I recently fell in love with a Yamaha, not sure, if it will make its way to my collection, but it is really unique http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/produc ... =103727608
feather light and cool. maybe near to cold, but like a cold drink on a hot day. It feels like a challange to give it birth, somehow.
A pity it doesn't come with a vibrato.
some other area to check might be Düsenberg or Diego
frankpaush

by simonm » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:57 am

Düsenbergs look cool, but a bit pricey; Diego less so but less interesting looking too. I think I've talked myself out of the new budget guitar option, but I do feel like something new, if only new to me.

The last guitar I bought was a 3/4 size 1959 Melody Maker and I've never really warmed to the tiny neck - I figured I could sell it and get something with the same kind of look & feel - hence my consideration of the reissue and the Epi 57 Junior. Hummmmm.

I'm selling a 1963 G12 and couple of amps this week -maybe I could consider spending some more than I otherwise would.

------
EDIT - well, instead of getting a newie, I've decided to soup up another guitar I have that I don't play cuz the pickups are crap (a set neck 59 Guyatone) if I can find some surface mount pickups that fit. Sadly not enough room for a P90 though.....
simonm

by patrick is a stratocaster » Wed May 21, 2008 4:16 pm

Get an Epi Junior and put an old Gibson humbucker in it. I've got a sunburst Junior that I took the stock pickup out and put in a '70 Gibson Les Paul Custom pickup in, and it really sounds quite great.
patrick is a stratocaster

Return to What's New?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts