[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - The nite I needed "Good Hearted Woman".

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

The nite I needed "Good Hearted Woman".

This is the place to discuss bands, pedals, technique or a memorable gig experience. All noninstrument related musical topics are welcome

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by VintAxe » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:36 pm

Well, it’s been quite awhile since this thread has seen any action so I guess I’ll tell another one of my bar gig stories.

Back in the early 80’s my band got a Friday-Saturday nite gig at a bar in Lawton, Oklahoma. For those of you that don’t know, Lawton is the location of Fort Sill, a fairly large Army base here in the States. Well, Friday nite went great with a lot of enthusiastic young soldiers just happy to be off the base and partying. We returned for the Saturday nite gig all full of ourselves and expecting a repeat performance of the Friday nite experience. The first set went smoothly but at some point before the second set a substantial contingent of Bikers entered the bar. Our band was essentially a Metal band that played mostly covers with the odd original peppered through the sets. Oklahoma Bikers in the early 80’s tended to prefer “outlaw country” and southern rock as their party music so we suddenly found ourselves out of our element. Shortly after beginning the second set we started to hear “play Good Hearted Woman” shouted out whenever we paused between songs. This happened a couple of times before Tony, our lead singer, says into the mic “sorry but we don’t know Good Hearted Woman’. At this time a very large man steps from the shadows into the light where we can see him. He’s got the full beard, bandana on his head, sleeveless leather jacket and sunglasses (the bar is dark). He fixes a glare on Tony and bellows “WELL LEARN IT”.

I don’t remember much after that other than getting really nervous and starting to measure the distance between the stage and the door. We hurriedly finished the set and scrambled down to our van for a break. The song is pretty easy so we spent our break trying to quickly work out an arrangement and piece together enough words to fake our way through it.

We kicked off the third set with a special dedication to our Biker friends and blasted into Good Hearted Woman. The place erupted. The Biker crowd was up on their feet and dancing in place. It turns out we really didn’t need to know many of the words since the audience was singing the song out loud anyway. After that, the tension lifted and they were with us for the rest of the night.

What did I learn? Well, I learned a couple of things that nite. Primarily, you can be a Country band that doesn’t know one note of Metal and you’ll be just fine. But if you are a Metal band, you better have at least one country/southern rock song in your repertoire. Chances are good some day you are going to need it. 8)
Last edited by VintAxe on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:51 pm

For those of you that have forgotten, here are the lyrics to "Good Hearted Woman".

(played to a country bump beat)

A long time forgotten the dreams that just fell by the way
The good life he promised ain't what she's livin' today
But she never complains of the bad times
Or the bad things he's done, lord
She just talks about the good times they've had
And all the good times to come

(She's a good hearted woman in love with a good timin' man)
She loves him in spite of his ways she don't understand
(With teardrops & laughter they pass through this world hand in hand)
(A good hearted woman, lovin' a good timin' man)

He likes the bright lights and night life and good time friends
And when the party's all over she'll welcome him back home again
Lord knows she don't understand him but she does the best that she can
A-this good hearted woman, lovin' a good timin' man

(key change up)

(She loves him in spite of his ways she don't understand)
A good hearted woman, lovin' a good timin' man

She loves him in spite of his ways she don't understand
A good hearted woman, lovin' a good timin' man
VintAxe
Site Admin

by cheepaxes » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:47 pm

I played a single gig with some friends back in '76. We were not terribly experienced at playing paid gigs. The band was assembled specifically for the gig - a 4-H club dance at Frying Pan Park in Herndon, VA. A week before the show I had a conversation with the older musician I knew who suggested we learn "Proud Mary." He said it didn't matter what kind of band you play in, "Proud Mary" is a kind of universal song you can play everywhere and you should always be prepared to play it. So we learned it.

We played the show. We played originals and covers that were not all that well known. We were going over slightly OK, until we played "Proud Mary," at which point everyone got much happier. We probably played it 3-4 times that night. They never tired of it. I haven't played it in a while but I bet I could if I needed to.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by chriswhewell » Sun May 29, 2011 4:57 pm

chriswhewell

Return to The Lounge

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts