[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - New equipment? NOPROBLEM

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

New equipment? NOPROBLEM

This is the place to discuss bands, pedals, technique or a memorable gig experience. All noninstrument related musical topics are welcome

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by Erich0316 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:21 pm

In 1987 I played a gig in a VFW hall in south Chicago. We showed up early, set up, performed a sound-check (11 band-members, a lot of sound-check) and I was really pleased with my NEW 36-channel board, amps, effects, and speakers. I had recently purchased a complete 1800-watt P.A. system and I was looking forward to hearing it for the first time.

The kitchen was opened at about 7:00 and no one really thought about it much until we began to play, and the lead singer and I stepped up to the mike.

We did our intro riff and stepped up to "harmonize" when we were both surprised to be getting shocked by the microphones.

Our guitar amplifiers began to smoke and make primal noises and the P.A. system literally caught on fire.

All of the equipment was completely ruined. Apparently when the kitchen manager hired his cousin to install the new fryer in the kitchen he wired the thing up wrong and sent 1/2 of the two-phase 220 through the outlets on the stage.

After the smoke cleared (literally) we all were able to recoup our losses and I invested in an outlet checker (if I remember correctly, $2.99, at the time) to prevent another incident. The lead singer and I had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on our lips & fingers. Mine from the strings & hisfrom touching the mike stand.

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER!
"But it's got eleven"
Erich0316

by VintAxe » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:18 pm

Wow, thanks for the "Public Service" post on an issue most of us don't even think about Erich0316. I've done my share of complaining about noise introduced into sound systems from neon signs and the lack of electrical outlets at gigs, but your experience certainly gives us all something to think about.

I think I'll buy one of those $3 outlet testers.

I'm shocked that VFW insurance paid to replace your PA. Unfortunate you got fried; fortunate you got fried in a spot with insurance.

thanks for the story. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Erich0316 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:59 pm

It probably had more to do with the bass players' dad being a Chicago city concilman, but you take the breaks when you can!
"But it's got eleven"
Erich0316

Return to The Lounge

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts