[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Classic Fender Mojo

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Classic Fender Mojo

This is the place to discuss bands, pedals, technique or a memorable gig experience. All noninstrument related musical topics are welcome

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by VintAxe » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:08 am

One of the themes of VintAxe is to cultivate interest in old guitars built by companies other than the traditional American Classics. However, this is prompted more by my desire to broaden the range of collectible guitars than disregard for the instruments produced by American companies in the early days of guitar production. While I haven't had many opportunities to play classics like 50's and Pre CBS 60's Fenders, I always really enjoyed the way they feel and sound when given the chance to play one. My first experience with a classic vintage instrument was in the 70's. I was primarily a bass player and the group I was in was invited to play an event where several bands would play a short set and then as the evening wore on the bands would mix it up and jam together in different configurations. When it came my turn to join the jam, the bass player stepping down proudly showed me his bass and said it would be ok if I just played his rig. I took a hard look and it appeared he was handing me a totally worn out piece of crap. A great deal of the finish was worn off this instrument, the wood of the body was gouged in several places, the maple neck looked dirty and there were cigarette burns on the headstock. I was young and just wanted to be ready to play as quickly as possible so I accepted his guitar and joined the jam. Well, it turns out what he had handed me was a late 50's Fender Precision plugged into a monster Fender bass rig. The neck on this bass had been sanded by flesh and finished in body oil & sweat. I was playin' off the wall licks during the jam that would have never occurred to me in another setting. That was my first exposure to the Mojo that these classic instruments exude and started my appreciation for "old guitars". So in my opinion, these instruments are great, there are just other great "non classic" instruments out there as well.

Am I the only person that first got into vintage instruments by stumbling into an opportunity to play one. If not, I'd be interested in hearing your story. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by cheepaxes » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:43 am

cheepaxes

by crowtown » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:12 pm

dont' we all stuble in to vintage by accident. or because it is what we were given the opportunity to play.

Cool story though!!! Wish I could have been there. :wink:
SAY CHEESE!!:)_
crowtown

Return to The Lounge

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts