[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Obscenity in Rock and Roll

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Obscenity in Rock and Roll

Show us your favorite videos featuring a great band, a great guitar or simply a great performance

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by VintAxe » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:05 am

Although these days there are probably more records released with "Parental Advisory" stickers than without, I can remember when naughty lyrics and naughty behavior first emerged in R&R.

My first clear recollection of listening to a "naughty" record was when my sister purchased a Kingsmen record featuring Louie, Louie. At the time, I couldn't figure out what the heck the singer was saying, but I can tell you, that record was the buzz of the neighborhood.

In this thread, I'd like to feature all your favorite naughty Rock and Roll videos. Post a video of either your first exposure to obscenity in R&R or your favorite example of rockers being naughty. Don't worry, we won't let mom and dad know this thread exisits. Have fun.

I'll start with my "first exposure" video. Here is a 1966 video of the Kingsmen playing Louie, Louie. Tell me again what the naughty bit was?

Last edited by VintAxe on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by GoGoMag » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:14 am

Jimmy Driftwood's album The Battle of New Orleans. The songs were sprinkled with hells and damns. The link below is just a bit of footage of Mr. Driftwood from the '80s.

GoGoMag
Site Admin

by mrblanche » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:28 am

There were even congressional hearings on "Louie, Louie." Turned out there were NO "naughty bits," and the group just didn't know the lyrics well enough to sing them clearly.

You know you can put together a two-hour radio show playing covers of this song? It was redone by practically everybody.
mrblanche

by VintAxe » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:40 pm

I didn't know "higher" was profanity but apparently it was in the eyes of network censors in 1967.

Check out this clip of the Doors playing the Ed Sullivan show in 1967.

Last edited by VintAxe on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by mrblanche » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:01 pm

and it may go by pretty quickly, but the first time I heard this played on the radio, the disc jocky cut it off right after the second line and it was played on that station no more.

mrblanche

by mrblanche » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:07 pm

at what they're saying today. By the way, a little farther down on the youtube listings is a color version of this, but it's cut before they get to "lay it between the lines."

mrblanche

by VintAxe » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:17 pm

The Standell's tried to slip a naughty word into their hit single Dirty Water in 1966.

You rarely see a less convincing miming effort than this.

I think I've heard versions of this song where they said "fuggers" and "muggers" but I don't think that's what I'm hearing here:

VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:08 pm

This was an ultimate bad boy song in my youth. I remember buying the Steppenwolf live album that had the long version of this song on it and rushing home to have a listen. Both my sister and I had "Hi Fi" stereos at that point in time but I took the record to her room since she had the bigger one. After several minutes of blaring out "Goddamn the Pusher" my mother opened the door to give me the "you are disappointing me stare". I shrugged as if to say "I didn't know ma" and she left defeated. I recall my sister and I having a good laugh over the obscenity I had managed to smuggle into the house. My mother took "goddamn" seriously, I'm not sure she ever got the anti-drug bit.

I couldn't find a contemporary version of The Pusher, but here is John Kay doing a 2004 version of the song. Definitely "obscenity in rock and roll".

Last edited by VintAxe on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by mrblanche » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:12 am

I guess it's a question of how far you want to go back and how "naughty" you want to get.

OK...just think about it:

mrblanche

by BluesHawk » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

Return to Historical Guitar Videos

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts