[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - One Hit Wonders from the 1960's

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

One Hit Wonders from the 1960's

Show us your favorite videos featuring a great band, a great guitar or simply a great performance

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by VintAxe » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:39 am

Here's the Count Five miming their hit single Psychotic Reaction on American Bandstand in 1966.

A classic "one hit wonder" band, I do like the song and the fact that Sean Byrne plays a Danelectro Bellzouki endorsed by Vincent Bell. You can really distinguish the tone of the Bellzouki in this recording.

The original link died. Here is a spirited but poorer quality link

Last edited by VintAxe on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:49 pm

Here's another one of my favorites, Vanilla Fudge playing "You Keep Me Hangin' On" on the Ray Anthony Show in 1968.

The Band is from outer space man! The Dancers are just classic, white knee-high GoGo boots and everything.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:17 pm

Here's the Music Machine playing their one hit "Talk Talk" in 1966.

This song is so simple yet the rhythm structure makes it so catchy.

Here's an interview with Sean Bonniwell of the Music Machine if you want more insight into the band.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:16 pm

Here are the Amboy Dukes playing "Journey to the Center of the Mind" on the TV show Upbeat in 1968.

Features a young Ted Nugent playing the solos.

Last edited by VintAxe on Thu May 15, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:37 pm

I'm sure Status Quo would object to being labeled OHW since I think they are still performing today, unfortunately, I can't name another one of their hits.

Here is "Pictures of Matchstick Men" from 1968.

Not many bands would feature the drummer front and center of the group. I think this was the first time I remember hearing obvious phasing in a song. Cool bassline and excellent quality video, the guys appear to be actually playing the song live.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Thu May 15, 2008 9:18 pm

Another one hit wonder Love playing their hit "Little Red Book" in 1966.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Fri May 30, 2008 8:49 pm

Here are the Sir Douglas Quintet singing their hit "She's About a Mover". Throughout my youth I always though he was singing "She's a Body Mover".

I like my title better.

The band is introduced by Trini Lopez, so you get a quick look at his signature Trini Lopez Gibson.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Fri May 30, 2008 10:34 pm

Check out the McCoys playing their hit single "Hang On Sloopy"

VintAxe
Site Admin

by mrblanche » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:46 pm

Have you noticed how many of these are from "Hullabaloo?" That, "Shindig," and "Where the Action Is" must have produced some serious stacks of classic video footage.
mrblanche

by VintAxe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:54 pm

A music video of "Wild Thing" from the Troggs. I think the bass player has a Burns "Jazz".

VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Was there a bigger organ band in the 1960's?

Here is Pocol Harum playing their hit "Whiter Shade of Pale" in 1967.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:01 pm

Here are the Seeds playing their hit single "Pushin' to Hard" in 1966.

Note the EKO bass.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by cheepaxes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:37 am

What I notice about this list is that (IIRC) every song was on a "garage rock classics" kind of record I borrowed from a friend back in the early '80s. It might have been one of the Nuggets records but I don't think so. ISTR the record also had "Black Is Black," "Too Much To Dream" and a bunch of others. This is the kind of stuff I'd love to do more in an acoustic band in which I play.

I stumbled on a web site called garagepunk.com that has Podcasts of a lot of cool old garage rock tunes, mixed in with newer punk stuff from the '70s, '80s and up til now. It really makes it clear the extent to which punk rock grew out of the garage rock of the '60s.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by cheepaxes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:43 am

VintAxe "Here are the Sir Douglas Quintet singing their hit 'She's About a Mover.'"

This is one we *have* done in my acoustic band. Any idea what kind of Gibson Sir Sahm is playing?

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:39 am

How about this one?

The Vagrants (featuring a young Leslie West from Mountain) doing their own personal vocal impression of The Ventures... haha...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OvNPhrr33Y

...but check out the gear!! Its like a treasure trove of pawnshop finds! haha...

LP Jr with a Bigsby, a Dano Bellzouki, and a Hofner Club Bass...
Michael Ambrose

Next

Return to Historical Guitar Videos

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts