[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Remembering how things change

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Remembering how things change

Show us your favorite videos featuring a great band, a great guitar or simply a great performance

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by mrblanche » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:37 pm

Here's the original:

And here's a modern version. Nancy put on about 100 pounds, and the guitar solo got a lot longer and better!

mrblanche

by VintAxe » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:57 pm

Hey mrblanche,

Great contrast post. I saw the latter clip as part of a PBS broadcast and I was so impressed with Heart. They were so professional and tight, it was a joy to watch. They combined their performance with several other musicians; Alice in Chains is one of the bands that stands out in my mind.

It is Ann that has put on a few pounds since young adulthood. In fact, it is rumored that her weight gain is what caused the "geniuses" in the music industry to withdraw support from the band. To put it bluntly, "can't sell a fat girl" unless she is a blues or R&B singer.

Well, in the PBS broadcast, Ann showed what a robust woman could do. At one point in the show they marched out a young, sexy, female, country/pop singer to join Ann on one of the tunes. I'm sure by herself, this young woman is a remarkable talent, but next to Ann it sounded like a transistor radio being played next to a boom box. Sort of like the 1970's Ann played next to the 2007 Ann. She is a powerful female vocalist despite the fact that Heart hasn't produced any new hits in recent memory. They have certainly figured out how to play the old stuff.

Thanks for the post. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Michael Ambrose » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:50 pm

Can we take a moment and nerd it up about the Travis Bean?

Damn, what a guitar!!
Michael Ambrose

by mrblanche » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:30 am

I guess the "geniuses" have never seen the great sopranos in the opera world, have they?
mrblanche

by VintAxe » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:18 pm

Ok, I'll join a Travis Bean Nerd session. That Bean must have been brand new for that performance. I've been lusting after one for several years now but I haven't brought myself to shell out the $3,000+ they seem to be going for these days. I've never actually played one so that might explain my reluctance. Are they neck heavy?

While we are on cool vintage guitars, I'd like to give Nancy some credit. On the 2007 DVD she plays a different, very cool, vintage guitar on virtually every song. I understand she has a pretty extensive guitar collection and she shows off some prized instruments on the video. One that stands out in my mind is an early Dean V in white finish. What a camera friendly guitar!

You make a good point mrblanche. How sad when style wins over substance. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by mrblanche » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:41 am

So I guess Mama Cass, Mary Travers, or any of a thousand other "imperfectly built" women couldn't make it today.
mrblanche

by Bob K » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:40 am

I enjoyed that! Thanks mrblanche.

Bob
Bob K

by newey » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:54 pm

Yes, very enjoyable videos. They still seem to be touring with the same cheesy fog machine though. Ann does indeed belt it out a lot better in the new version. In the '70's video, she seems to be channelling Linda Ronstadt a bit- guess that was the standard for women rockers back then.

We tend to forget how rare it was to see women rockers then- especially a woman playing guitar. Wasn't until the 1980's that you began to have quite a few women players.

As far as the Travis Bean, I did play one back then in a music store and didn't notice it to be particularly neck-heavy- it wasn't a light guitar by any stretch but seemed pretty balanced. But that could be the fog of nostalgia too. I wanted one but it was waaay beyond my budget then (as now!).

I did buy the tee shirt, however. Black tee with a white/silvery Vee-style guitar, looking from the headstock down, like it was the Concorde taking off, with the wording "The Travis Bean Guitar Breaks the Sound Barrier". Very cool. I wore it until it disintegrated.
newey

Return to Historical Guitar Videos

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts