[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - got an old Takamine...my first...

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

got an old Takamine...my first...

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by sneakypete » Wed May 13, 2009 4:32 am

label is dated 1963, got it today and cleaned and inspected it closely and found it`s all solid wood, got the mechanics drying off and will soon put it back together and string it up...but this is the first time I`ve seen a hand written Takamine label...anybody else familiar with that? Did some snooping on the web and saw that labels here read...since 1982 so this is an early model. Has a bone nut and saddle and the figuring on the back is a first for me too, it`s maple but oddly flamed, those dark streaks are very unusual...least to me...but the figuring made it easy to verify on the inside and out...the rosewood on the neck is beautiful and the finish has checked all over, like my old Yamaha Dynamics...I`m very happy for the $20.oo I spent on it.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/ ... G_4456.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/ ... G_4450.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/ ... G_4471.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/ ... G_4472.jpg
sneakypete

by sneakypete » Wed May 13, 2009 4:36 am

sneakypete

by sneakypete » Thu May 14, 2009 8:25 pm

sneakypete

by VintAxe » Thu May 21, 2009 8:19 pm

Wow sneaky, what a bargin :wink:

I don't know a lot about acoustic guitars although I can tell the difference between a good sounding one and a bad sounding one. No small feat for a bass player that has spent his life standing nearest the amps and the drummer.

However, I do know something about wood and the wood used in these early 60's acoustics you are collecting will never be available on planet earth at a reasonable price again, ever. The old trees are cut and the lumber companies will never allow the new trees to mature like that again. Any old wood will need to be pulled out of rivers or wrestled down from mountains. That wood won't be cheap.

It reminds me when I was refinishing my attic space to convert it into my sons room. There were a couple of floor boards that needed to be replaced so I trotted down to our local lumber yard that has been a family business for almost 100 years. I showed the old man a sample of what I needed and he just started laughing at me. Turns out my attic floor was finished in clear grain fir (i.e. no knots). He tells me "I haven't seen any clear grain fir that wide in over 20 years". This was my attic floor :shock:

Yesterday's crap is today's treasure. I did manage to get the boards I needed out of the closets.

I think you are investing wisely; I hope it sounds as good as it looks.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by sneakypete » Thu May 21, 2009 9:16 pm

yeah it was a steal...every time the doorbell rings now I`m thinking it`s the police coming to arrest me for theft... and I agree about the old growth wood, you know in the days these guitars were made it was plentiful and I bet nobody gave a thought to the fact that it would someday be as scarce as it is now, look what happened to Brazilian rosewood. So I`m just gonna keep adding to my inventory and one day bring em back home and sell them there.
sneakypete

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts