[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Orpheus Guitar Info

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Orpheus Guitar Info

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by Spud1950 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:02 pm

This is a guitar that someone on another forum is trying to get info on.He was told it was purchased in the 1930s or 1940s. I know there was an an American Orpheum guitar company way back when, so I think someone may be confusing it with that company. I think it's a Japanese made,Orpheus branded guitar.What do you think?

Here's another Orpheus picture I found on the net,but no info on the company.

Spud1950

by Mgeek » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:45 pm

Mgeek

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:24 pm

Michael Ambrose

by Spud1950 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:58 pm

That would be Orpheum.The United connection is mentioned here.

"The subject of Orpheum guitars is one of those obscure corners of guitardom awaiting more research, and what has been published is vague and at times contradictory. The Orpheum brand dates back to the late 19th century and is primarily associated with William L. Lange of New York. In the late 1800s, James H. Buckbee was one of the top New York banjo makers. He supplied instruments to other companies, which marketed them under their own house brands. Buckbee sold his business to Lange and William P. Rettberg in 1897, and they introduced the well-respected Orpheum-brand banjos. In around 1921 Lange apparently took over the business and sold both Orpheum and Paramount banjos. When the guitar overtook the banjo in the 1930s, Lange added Paramount guitars to his line. He is reported to have marketed some Orpheum-brand guitars, but this is not certain and nothing is known of them.

Lange weathered the Great Depression but went out of business in 1941 or '42. In 1944 the Orpheum brand name was picked up by New York distributor Maurice Lipsky, who applied it to both guitars and banjos. Most Orpheum guitars I've encountered date from the Lipsky era. In the 1950s, Lipsky marketed Orpheum electric archtops and little Les Paul–sized electric hollow-bodies, which look very much like those made by United (formerly Oscar Schmidt) in Jersey City, the source of many similar Premier guitars sold by Sorkin, Lipsky's competitor at the time. In the early 1960s, Lipsky began to use the Orpheum name on guitars imported from Japan, but the name doesn't seem to have survived beyond the big crash of 1968. In any case, be cautious when purchasing an instrument with the Orpheum brand name."

Harmony also made some guitars that were branded as Orpheum.

I thought of the Bulgarian made guitars,but the brand name is actually spelled Orfeus,not Orpheus.

Whats wierd is that the name on the Orfeus pickups is spelled Orpheus,like on this one.

Most confusing!
Spud1950

by VintAxe » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:15 pm

Well, all I can do is add to the confusion.

Here is a 12 string branded Orpheum. Wietse says Orpheum was a sub brand of Egmond.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Mgeek » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:23 am

Hmm...I wonder how he knows it's an Egmond sub-brand.

That looks quite nice, and everything else I've seen of theirs has been amazingly shoddy! I'm not sure how the company famous for nailing on some of their necks could deal with those finger board inlays ;)
Mgeek

by Michael Ambrose » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:14 am

that IS very interesting... especially when you consider the Orpheum/Premier connection... and that Sorkin/Premier imported pieces from Italian and German houses... hmmmm...

Its not just people who are separated by six degrees...
Michael Ambrose

by Spud1950 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:45 pm

Spud1950

by Mgeek » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:45 am

Well...not that much of a mystery.

Bulgarian, right?

Cool Egmond site...thanks for the link
Mgeek

by Spud1950 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:00 pm

Sorry,but simply having "Orfeus" on a headstock and "Orpheus" on another is no proof that the guitars are of the same origin. It's just speculation.
Spud1950

by Mgeek » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:23 am

Mgeek

by jedistar » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:43 am

'Orpheus' were a Bulgarian brand of guitar (made under communist rule at the time) during the 60's to the 80's. The name was also spelled 'Orfeus', when it was for domestic sale in Bulgary.

http://jedistar.com/jedistar_vintage_gu ... ing_o2.htm

There is also a made in Japan Orpheus guitar..
jedistar

by beaz750 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:41 pm

Just found a vintage Orpheus lap-steele guitar. Trying to find information I ran across this thread. On the name at the head stock it clearly says "made in USA". Interesting that there is no information on this "American" guitar company. I can send pictures if you give me an address. Jer
beaz750

by atila-kun » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Hi, I was looking for some information for the Orfeus Guitar, because i have one of them and i want to know something about it.

The Guitar was my uncle, and i want to know their value.

Sorry for my English, I'm spanish.

I put some pictures here:

I appreciate any help.
:)
atila-kun

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts