[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Just got this from my Grandpa.

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Just got this from my Grandpa.

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by tspec2 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:21 pm

It's a K40 model Kay. My Grandpa told me in 1955 he was looking for a guitar to buy my mom for Christmas. My family lived in Chicago at the time, and Grandpa's neighbor happened to be the brother of an executive for the Kay company. The executive (whose name Grandpa can't remember anymore) had my Grandpa pick a guitar he liked out of the Kay catalog. Lo and behold, a short time later, the man brought this guitar to my Grandpa. Grandma and Grandpa didn't have a ton of money, so Grandpa was looking for something fairly inexpensive. This guitar happened to be a "factory defect", so Grandpa was able to purchase it for the whopping sum of $27.50. It plays pretty well as it is, but it wouldn't matter to me if it wouldn't play at all, considering the family history.

I do have a few questions. One, how does the strap attach? I know there's a strap hook on the bottom of the guitar, but Grandpa has the other end of the strap tied just above the nut. Two, what's the hole on the bottom of the neck? There's a threaded rod in there, you should be able to see it in the picture. There's nothing on the threaded rod. Is that a stop where another strap hook would have gone, or is that a spot where some sort of nut should be, to adjust the neck? Three, although I know it's not worth much, what would a good insurance value be on this guitar? If anything were to ever happen to this guitar (God forbid), I'd like to be able to at least have it in my insurance policy.

Thanks for any replies, I hope you all enjoy the pictures.

[/img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3538/3805578971_98e7963d8c.jpg[/img]
Image[/img]
tspec2

by MATT » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:08 pm

Hey man, nice guitar. It appears that the strap in attatched in the right place, however some guitars do have a second strap button near the base of the neck although I can not confirm that for your model. Not sure about the whole near the base of the neck or value.

Have fun with it, looks really cool.

-matt
MATT

by Spud1950 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:55 pm

Great looking Kay K40. It appears to be in excellent condition. Here's another one,same thing at the neck heel.I don't what the deal is with that threaded rod is. I've never seen that on any other guitar. I can't see how it would have anything to do with the neck adjustment.My guess is that it has something to with how the neck attaches to the body, or maybe it is for attaching another strap button.

Can't find values for that model,but I can make an educated guess. The more typical Harmony and Kay archtops that I see on eBay in the same condition sell for around $300,plus or minus a bit,but yours seems to definately be an upgraded model from what I usually see.I think the fancy headstock,the fancy neck inlays,the nicer binding and the nicer quality of the wood puts your guitar up around the $500 range,maybe a bit more. For insurance purposes, I'd feel comfortable putting it at $600.
Spud1950

by oddman397 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:50 pm

wow!! this guitar is really great! i like it! :D
oddman397

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts