[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Barnes & Mullins 12 string guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Barnes & Mullins 12 string guitar

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by alzebub666 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:49 am

Does anyone have more info my B&M guitar, all know is that B&M are british based and imported unbranded guitars from around the globe, this guitar was made in japan, it also has what I think are japanese characters printed on the lining inside the guitar, I suspect it was made in late 60s/early 70s

alzebub666

by VintAxe » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Hey alzebub666.

I really don't know anything specific about your guitar. I think you are right about the date and during this period lots of Japanese companies were cranking out budget acoustic guitars.

The wide truss rod cover reminds me of Aria but the guitar has little else in common with Arias of the period other than the fact that Aria used the trapeze tailpiece (fancier) on their 12 strings as well.

I'm no expert on acoustics, but I think the use of the trapeze tailpiece was a way to deal with the tension generated by the 12 strings without going to the expense of properly bracing the top. I'm pretty sure you only see this trapeze construction technique on budget instruments.

Hopefully someone else will come along and tell you something more specific.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by sneakypete » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:30 am

I would`ve asked my wife to try and read the markings if they are Japanese, but it`s illegible.
sneakypete

by alzebub666 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:22 am

I think barnes & mullins were actually a "buyer brand" as they bought unbranded guitars from spain and japan in particular and put their own name on them, these unbranded guitars sometimes used common parts with proper brands which leads me to think it may have come from the same factory as aria, anybody know which factory? (even though aria connection may not be true, it's still a lead :) )...As for the possible japanese characters stamped inside the guitar that's the best pic I was able to get coz the stamp is faded, I suspect it may be a date (hofner used to datestamp inside the body before assembly)
alzebub666

by PickerAUS » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:51 pm

I'll be interested too. I have a BM Concert classical bought in the late 60's maybe 1970. It has the widest, flattest neck I've ever played or seen. Big body, long scale length, nice action but light in weight with a laminated top. I needed to use high tension strings to get decent volume out of it, otherwise it was a fine, though brutish guitar.
(Strangely enough, my next guitar was a short scale length, small bodied Sanchez which I used for years... must have been some sort of compensation.)
I don't think it was Aria manufactured though.... Feels like a Yamaha to me. Who else built big bodied classicals?
PickerAUS

by Mgeek » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:13 am

Looks similar to the 12 string Harmony made along with the sovereign guitar in the sixties. I believe they moved production of those to the far east in the seventies, so I guess it's possible they would have been made in the same factory, just branded differently here in the UK to in the states.

This is just speculation based on the bridge type and the body shape
Mgeek

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts