[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - My Grandfather's guitar....NEED HELP!

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

My Grandfather's guitar....NEED HELP!

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by warrenmich » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:02 pm

I am getting my Grandfather's FIRST guitar from my Uncle soon. My Grandfather would have been 85 this year and he received it when he was a young boy when he first started playing. The people who had given it to him had it a while in the attic so there is no telling how old this instrument is.

It is a "Gondolier" with a picture of Venice Gondoliers on the body of the guitar. I do not have a serial or have any idea where this was made. Any help would be appreciated!

warrenmich

by VintAxe » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Hey warrenmich.

Your Grandfather's guitar is what is known as a stencil guitar. Guitars with this type of stenciling were popular from the early 1930's to the early 1960's. The most popular stencil designs were Hawaiian themes and cowboy themes although you will occasionally see European themes like bullfights or in your case gondolas.

Based on the metal tailpiece I see on your guitar, I would say it is from the 1930's. Regal produced a variety of stencil guitars in the 1930's but several other companies did as well so it would take some serious research to figure out who actually produced your guitar.

The only website devoted to stencil guitars I'm aware of focuses on cowboy guitars.

There is a guy who runs a music store in Arkansas that collects cowboy guitars. An email to him might get you some more information on your guitar. Here's a video where he is showing his collection. Should be able to get enough information from the video to track down the email address of his business.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by warrenmich » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:36 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

I did call the business of that link and they are excited to see it. Steve, the gentleman in the video is still working there and he is known Worldwide for having amazing knowledge of this type of guitar! The gentleman on the phone confirmed that it may be from the early 30's because of the tailpiece also! I am soooo excited!

I may even be lucky enough to get my Grandfather's other guitar (type and vintage unknown) but it is in Florida with my Uncle.

I actually live in Arkansas, 15 miles from Jacksonville! This works out great!
warrenmich

by VintAxe » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:45 pm

You are welcome :wink:

It's a happy coincidence that you live so close to a stencil guitar expert.

Let us know what Steve has to say about your guitar after he inspects it.
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts