[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Need help Identifying a Gibson acoustic guitar.

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Need help Identifying a Gibson acoustic guitar.

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by Geeknoise » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:58 am

Hey guys I was given this guitar as a gift from my father like probably around six years ago. I never cam around to finding out what model or what year it was. Since I found this forum I would hope someone can help me out. I know there is no tag in the sound hole and the tuners have been changed.
Here are some photos:
I hope you guys can help me.
Thank you!!
Geeknoise

by Spud1950 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:05 pm

I'm pretty sure what you have is a J-45.

Can't tell the exact year without a serial number, but in 1955 the pickguard was changed from the traditional teardrop shape to the larger pointy shape like yours and an additional fret was added, going from 19 to 20 frets like yours, so it couldn't have been made before 1955.

Edit- More info here.

Spud1950

by Geeknoise » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:43 pm

Thank you Spud1950!
The serial number is located inside the sound hole right?
I want to put the original tuners on. But I have to find out were i can get them.
Geeknoise

by Spud1950 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:00 pm

Yours would have had an oval paper label inside the guitar with the model and serial number, but obviously it's no longer there. There is another way to tell, but only up to 1961. There may be a letter stamped on the inside of guitar on the neck block. Have a look inside yours and see if it has a stamped letter.
"Factory Order Numbers with a Letter, 1952 to 1961.
This letter preceeds the batch number within the Factory Order Number (FON), and denotes the year of manufacturer. Remember, the batch number is the first 4 digits of the FON, followed by a 1 or 2 digit sequence number (within the batch). This letter should be before the FON batch number. This was used on archtop models (ink stamped inside treble F-hole) and on flat top models (ink stamped on the neck block), from 1952 to 1961:
Year Letter
---- ------
1952 Z
1953 Y
1954 X
1955 W
1956 V
1957 U
1958 T
1959 S
1960 R
1961 Q"

Neck block location.

Spud1950

by Mgeek » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:03 pm

What a beautiful looking guitar
Mgeek

by Geeknoise » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Well thank you Mgeek! I am planing on getting the original tuners on it to make it look even more beautiful! lol I only with I can get it to shine like how it might of when it was first purchased.. any suggestions?

Spud1950 I will get the numbers on the neck block tomorrow when I change my strings. Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.
Geeknoise

by sneakypete » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:31 am

can`t you just look through the soundhole?
sneakypete

by Mgeek » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:41 am

Mgeek

by johnnyb » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:30 pm

leave it. a little spit shine is all it needs. looks cool as is. just be careful on what you use. some polishes go into the finish cracks and can turn white.
johnnyb

by Spud1950 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:39 pm

Putting a set of original tuners back on would be fine, but other then cleaning it, don't mess with the finish.
Spud1950

by Geeknoise » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:23 pm

Hey Spud1950 I got the number from off the neck block. This is what I think it says lol 022598
Geeknoise

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts