The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Emperador / Lorenzo Mystery

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by dan74 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:04 am

OK, i'm trying to solve an ongoing mystery.
Myself and a handful of others i've found on the internet are owners of a rather nice, what appears to be, Gibson Dove copy (or similar) made by (or at least branded as) Lorenzo. Serial 191/A.

The bridge has the classic Dove inlays in the same shape as the original and my one in particular has the open book shape headstock.

I've since been in contact with another owner who has sent me photos of her guitar and I discovered that her's also has an ornate pickguard, which mine appears to be missing. The pickguard is different to the Dove and seems to illustrate Bluebirds instead of white doves. This guitar is labelled MIK and imported by FCN.

After some extensive research I managed to turn up this guitar:
http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-344 ... -Pickguard

Branded as Emperador, it's identical to the above example in every way.
However it differs from mine by only the shape of the headstock!

I've since learned of the origins of Emperador guitars and have now struck a brick wall as there is no reference to Lorenzo in any of my findings.
The sticker inside our Lorenzo's all state "Made for and imported by Fletcher Coppock and Newman", a famous UK guitar distributor known for Hagstrom.

It seems to me that Emperador was the brand which guitars from the Kasuga factory adopted when supplying to USA. I've also seen these related to Cortez as well but so far have not been able to place Lorenzo in the mix. Is it possible Lorenzo guitars were actually made in the same place and was the brand used to supply the UK?

Is it also possible that my "open book" headstock relates to the lawsuit era and possibly places it MIJ ?

Thank you!
dan74

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts