[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Gibson Question

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Gibson Question

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by DougW » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:49 pm

DougW

by Spud1950 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:20 pm

It's definitely an s 300 c,Super 300 Cutaway. It's sort of a less expensive version of the much fancier Super 400. The 400 looks close, but notice some of the obvious differences. The headstock inlay is different and the hardware is gold plated. The 400 was a higher quality build.

Here's some info on the two. Scroll down.

I can't say exactly what that is on the back of the neck,only that the finish in that area is obviously badly damaged. Might be worth it to have a competent repair person have a look at it and see if it can be made to look better at a reasonable cost.
Last edited by Spud1950 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spud1950

by DougW » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Thanks.
I guess I was confused because the shape of the guitar looks different than what I found online. All of the 300's I saw looked fairly straight across where the neck meets the rest of it. This one has the curved part sticking out on the right side as you look at it. As you can see, I know nothing about guitars. Any idea of what the value might be?
DougW

by Spud1950 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:55 pm

Yes,that curved part is referred to as a cutaway,which is what the "c" in the model number indicates. You saw the non cutaway version. What's it worth? I'll have to look around on the net. Of course the damage on the back of the neck really hurts the value. Too bad because other then that the guitar appears to be in very nice condition. Also it would be helpful to know the serial number.That will give me an idea as to it's date.If you can find it,post it.

Edit-OK. The info I find is that first off, the Super 300,though it cost less the 400 is still considered to be a very fine instrument and they are rather rare and collectible, not many being built,even more so the cutaway version. Here's the only reference I can find as to prices.

Like I said, the neck damage hurts the value a lot, but I can't say how much. Getting it repaired properly will increase it's present value,but it will still be worth less then had it been in the same nice original condition as the rest of the guitar. You should get a professional opinion. It may very well be worth putting some money into this guitar. I would have Gruhn do an on line appraisal on the guitar.He's a well trusted vintage guitar expert.It cost $50,but it's worth it given the potential value of the guitar. Here's his site.Click on "Appraisal" for details. .

If you try to get an appraisal locally,don't just go to any music store and expect to get a fair or accurate one. You need to find someone who really knows vintage guitars and won't give inaccurate info or try to low ball it thinking they buy it off you for way less then it's worth. By the way,how did you get a hold of this guitar?
Spud1950

by DougW » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:06 am

Thanks. I didn't realize that was what the cutaway was.
The serial number is A22136 which I think dates it to 1956.
This guitar was found in an estate and will be offered for auction in a couple of weeks.
DougW

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts