[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Need help! Kay guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Need help! Kay guitar

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by Left4alive1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:23 pm

I have a old kay guitar,I want to know some stuff about it.

also when i tune it(even with a guitar tuner) it always sounds horribly out of tune..i'm thinking new tuners/tuning pegs? I don't know what kind to buy tho

http://s970.photobucket.com/albums/ae182/left4alive1/

[/img]
Left4alive1

by cheepaxes » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:13 pm

If you have old strings on it, the first thing I would do is replace them.

I'd be more inclined to suspect the placement of the bridge than the tuners. What happens when you play a harmonic at the 12th fret and compare to fretting at the 12th fret? Try that. If the fretted notes are sharp compared to the harmonic, carefully slide the bridge toward the tailpiece. If they're flat, carefullly slide the bridge toward the nut. Retune after each time you move the bridge and compare again. Keep doing that until the notes are tuned the same for the harmonic and the fretted notes. Do this for both high and low E strings. When those are correct, hopefully all other strings will be in tune. Then try playing the guitar. Does it seem seem out of tune when all the open strings are in tune?

If you get it in tune, but the strings slip and go out of tune, *then* I would suspect the tuners.

Let us know how that works.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Spud1950 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:39 pm

The fact that the guitar is missing all the tuning post bushings probably isn't a good thing either as far as tuning stability.

Spud1950

by Left4alive1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Left4alive1

by johnnyb » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:55 am

johnnyb

by cheepaxes » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:14 am

I've wondered whether it would be possible to make jury-rig bushings by cutting plastic (e.g., from a sour cream container), rolling it into a tube and sliding it down into the hole. It wouldn't be pretty but it might provide a slippery enough surface to make tuning easier. I guess a potential problem would be a tendency for them to work their way out of the hole over time.

Looking back at my earlier response, I don't know why I didn't suggest finding the proper location for the bridge by measuring the distance from the nut to the 12th fret and placing the bridge the same distance from the 12th fret. If the bridge position was way off, that certainly would have been the quickest way to get into the ballpark.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Left4alive1 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:29 pm

like i said this was my grandfathers guitar...he's a righty and i play lefthanded

I figured i could just flip the bridge and string it up and play...no i didn't even think that that tail piece slots are sized according to string size so is the nut at the top of the neck...i stringed it up and tuned it fine the bushing went to easily

My problem now is the to bottom strings(thinest) buzz alot

i'm afraid to move the bridge again cause i finally got it to where the 12th fret harmonic match the 12th fret (fretted note)
Left4alive1

by cheepaxes » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:29 pm

cheepaxes

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts