[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Univox U-4000

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Univox U-4000

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by SummersAtTheLake » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:18 am

I've had this acoustic since 1985 and it is in almost perfect condition and bought it used at that time. Haven't played it very much and I am considering selling it but can't find out any information on itt's value. I've been to:
http://www.univox.org/guitars/
and can't find anything similar.
On the inside of the body it is stamped (burnt) "Handcrafted UNIVOX U-4000" with the numbers 7603014 written (in pen/ink) on the inside of body neck brace which also says "Super Neck" on it.

Thanks for any help as I have spent HOURS on the internet and can't find any info.
SummersAtTheLake

by VintAxe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:48 pm

Hi SummersAtTheLake.

I have a couple of observations concerning your guitar. It appears to be a Jumbo Western style guitar. Given it was imported from Japan by Univox, chances are good it was made by Matsumoku. Here's a brief history of Mat on Wikipedia:

It's possible that the 76 in your serial number refers to the year of production although Japanese builders weren't know for being particularly systematic with serial numbers during this period. I think Univox stopped importing acoustics around 1978 so the 76 date is reasonable.

I've compared your guitar to mid 70's Aria acoustics (also built by Mat) and Aria offered guitars with a 3 piece back like yours during this period. However, your guitar has closed back tuners while the Arias still used open backed tuners on most of their models so I don't see an exact match.

As far as value goes, brace to be disappointed. Japanese acoustic guitars were imported by the ship full during the 1970's so instruments similar to yours are readily available. Your guitar appears to be a mid quality model so it should bring a bit more money than cheaper acoustics but $200-$300 is probably about the best you can hope for. These acoustics just haven't appreciated much in value over time.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by SummersAtTheLake » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:40 pm

SummersAtTheLake

by Spud1950 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:44 pm

I found the exact description,no picture, of your guitar on that Univox site. It's an Artist Series, Jacaranda Dreadnaught W4000.

"The Artist Series came in several models. The W3000 dreadnaught had a rosewood body, spruce top, Martin-style head, Schaller tuners, dot-inlaid rosewood fingerboard and Martin-style bridge. The W4000 Jacaranda Dreadnaught was similar with 3-piece back of Jacaranda rosewood and curly maple center and snowflake inlays. The W4002 was similar to the W4000 with body made of maple, rosewood center in back and gold hardware."
Last edited by Spud1950 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spud1950

by SummersAtTheLake » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:47 pm

OK...I did a little more research and found what I think is almost the exact model except that it isa being called a U-4002 and mine is a U-4000...sn is 7603039 and mine is 7603014. he one on ebay is being called a "Dreadnaught" and here is the ebay link:

SummersAtTheLake

by SummersAtTheLake » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:15 pm

SummersAtTheLake

by Spud1950 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Spud1950

by guitarguy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:07 am

Hi SummersAtTheLake,
I sent you a personal mail about this guitar. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.
Dave
guitarguy

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts