[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Vintage Aria 12-string

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Vintage Aria 12-string

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by jaykemurd » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:15 am

Quick background: This guitar was recently given to me by a relative.
Supposedly it was brought over from Japan by a soldier. It appears to have had a rough life, but made it to me in playable condition.

Someone obviously "converted" it to a six-string, the bridge-work is shoddy at best, haha.

I have never seen an acoustic with this type of bridge system...I don't even know what to call it. Pretty unique and seems to give the guitar a unique sound. Another interested thing is there is no serial number. Appears as though there never was one. The label is damaged, but the model number is 6814.
According to the Aria Database it's from 1977.

What can you tell me about this vintage axe?

jaykemurd

by jaykemurd » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:53 pm

A bit of an update:
The relative that passed this guitar on to me was positive they received it prior to 72', so now I've really got no history on this guitar.

Could this be some rare, one-of-a-kind or something?
jaykemurd

by VintAxe » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:59 am

I don't think so jaykemurd. Your 12 string appears in my 1969 Aria pages from a Targ and Dinner counter catalog. If it's being distributed by Targ and Dinner, it's likely not rare. It was sold as a student grade instrument for $90 back in the day.

The trapeze tailpiece isn't that unusual on acoustic guitars especially 12 string models. A standard 6 string guitar with medium gauge strings exerts around 150 pounds of force on the bridge, of course 12 strings will add to that tension. Guitars with a standard fixed bridge are braced on the inside to withstand this force. Another solution is to transfer this force to the tail block by using a trapeze tailpiece like your guitar has. There are pros and cons to both solutions and clearly a fixed bridge with bracing is considered the best solution by most builders. You just have an example of the other solution which requires less labor to build and therefore can be built and sold for less money.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:59 am

Someone modified the guitar by adding the chrome tailpiece to secure the strings instead of by using bridge pins. Here's one in it's original state.

Nice guitar,decent quality,but it's not one of a kind or that rare.

Edit - Well,looks like VintAxe and me posted at the same time. The guitar in that catalog does look the same, having the same tailpiece but dot fretboard inlays instead of blocks. Here's another picture identified as a Aria 6814,same as the other picture I posted,no tailpiece. This one is said to be a 1977 model. Looks like yours is a version that came between the 1969 catalog version and these later versions.

Last edited by Spud1950 on Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spud1950

by VintAxe » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:05 am

I think the tailpiece is original spud. Go to the Acoustic Catalogs section and check the 1969 Targ and Dinner pages.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:21 am

Right you are. You beat me to the post while I was doing my first edit.
Spud1950

by jaykemurd » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:52 pm

Well dang! So it was made no farther back that 69' and is nothing special.
Damn, you've crushed my dreams.

Oh well, I appreciate the explanation fellas.
I don't want to sell it...but out of curiosity how much would it be worth today? 200 dollars?

I have to admit, it sounds pretty damn good...needs a little work and I can turn this into a stand-up guitar.

Thanks again! :wink:
jaykemurd

by jakrabit » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:33 pm

I have the same guitar with a different finish as seen below. This guitar is 100% original. It was my fathers guitar and was purchased in St. Catharines Ontario in 1964. The PAN guitar on the left was purchased for my brother in 1965.

The labels in both guitars have been torn out and nothing readable is left. The 12 string has the number 13662 stamped on the 19th fret of the neck

I would appreciate any further information that anyone has on these guitars as I am currently in need of a new tailpiece for the 12 String.

jakrabit

by slohand » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:19 pm

I have the same tailpiece on my 12. It only strung with 6 now. I think mine is late 60s.

slohand

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts