[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - What is this?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

What is this?

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by Treefrog23 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:31 am

I acquired this guitar about 35 years ago, from a guy who said it was his Grandmothers. That would put it circa mid to late 1800's. There are no markings I can find.

Here is a link to some photos.

Is there a chance anyone has seen this, or can give me any ideas what it might be? I want to restore it for my Grandaughter. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated.
Treefrog
Knoxville, TN
Treefrog23

by fasttruck93l » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:09 pm

Definately in good shape for being that old. Must have been taken care of really well. Old classical? Don't have any clue of maker.
fasttruck93l

by VintAxe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi Treefrog.

Your guitar certainly has the build characteristics of a turn of the century guitar. It was common for guitars distributed through the mail order dealers of the day to be unbranded. The earliest catalog I own is 1889. If you go to the homepage of VintAxe and scroll to the bottom of the page you can search my catalog collection by year. There might be $10 in entertainment value for you to look at some of these old catalogs and compare your guitar to the instruments listed.

As far as restoring, I suggest you leave this guitar alone unless it needs a mechanical repair to play. I don't know how old your grand daughter is, but I wouldn't give the guitar to her unless she is old enough to appreciate it's value as an antique. If she wants to play guitar, you are better off buying her a $150 acoustic which will play and sound better anyway. The value of this instrument is largely historical and it will be of most interest to collectors of early stringed instruments.

I can't really tell much about your guitar from the pictures. It appears that it might have a french polish finish rather than lacquer. According to Gruhn and Carter (VG March 2011) the switch from french polished varnish to nitrocellulose lacquer was the mid 1920's. From 1925 to 1929 Gibson used a thin layer of lacquer over varnish and by 1930 were using lacquer only. If your guitar is a pure french polish finish, it would suggest that it was built before 1925 or so.

You'll probably need to show the guitar to an antique instrument expert to know what you have for sure.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:35 pm

VintAxe gives good advice. The only repairs that should be done are to things that negatively effect playability.As far as collectability ,the original finish,which looks to be fine for it's age, is way more desirable then a perfect looking refinish.If the guitar turns out to have any significant value, a refinish will severely hurt the value.
Spud1950

by Treefrog23 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Gentlemen,

I simply can not thank you enough for your input. I guess my next step is to head to Nashville (Gruhn). Best excuse I've ever had for going there. If you've never been there, you should really try to go. Some of their pieces will bring tears to your eyes.

Thank you again.

Treefrog
Knoxville, TN
Treefrog23

by VintAxe » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:53 am

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Treefrog23 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:43 am

Treefrog23

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts