[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Help with Restoration of 1924 Gibson O Type

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Help with Restoration of 1924 Gibson O Type

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by HippieDave » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:04 am

I've been asked to restore a 1924 Gibson OType acoustic archtop. A photo of an identical instrument is here at http://lh5.ggpht.com/_mtgNjgX-tlY/TT_FY ... style0.jpg. I have got a pretty definite date on it due to design variations and numbers. (Although this model was discontinued in 1923, the slightly higher serial no. and FON number on this instrument suggest it may have been a late production in 1924).

The challenge is that while it is very playable -- its really in very good shape despite a couple of repairs here and there -- the saddle and bridge are missing altogether. I can see where the bridge was due to the marring of the finish where it sat. I can figure the hight it needs to be by taking a line off the nut and fretboard, which is amazingly true and in great condition. But what did it look like? How did it set up? I can't find any photo's any clearer than the one above. Any thoughts?
HippieDave

by Spud1950 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:14 am

Here you go. Much better close up view of the bridge.Click on the pic to enlarge.

There's lots of very similar wooden archtop bridges available. Google image search comes up with a lot them from various suppliers.

Spud1950

by HippieDave » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:30 am

I never would have guessed there'd be so many options. Thanks.
I am not familiar with archtop bridges, but can you tell if there are any particular characteristics of this one? Would any archtop bridge work?

In fact, do you have a recommendation for a supplier of parts for vintage instruments? As I start to clean this one up (I'm just getting the dust and dirt off, not getting into the patina) I notice little things ...like two of the ferrules (or guides?) on the tuning pegs are missing. Little stuff that should be replaced. Where do I go?
HippieDave

by viking » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:17 pm

for around the posts on the tuners l have gone to a plumbing supply house and picked up chrome tubeing used for a toilet tank and reworked it . l work mostly on early instruments and have found no place to just buy most of what you need for 1900s guitars. you need to get inventive.
viking

by HippieDave » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:32 pm

OK...inventive I'm used to. I can picture what you're talking about.
HippieDave

by viking » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:15 am

you cant just use any bridge . find one similar then put a piece of sand paper on the top where the marks are then take the bridge and sand back and forth. do this with the length of the top then remove and check until the bridge has the right curve . l work on guitars some are nearly 200 years old l know of no one who has a huge supply of parts going back to the 20s. or 30s . you have to go to flea mkts and such and other collectors l for one dont sell old parts any more. 20 years ago not now to hard to come buy.
viking

by HippieDave » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:47 pm

HippieDave

by viking » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:19 am

its worked for me it takes some elbow grease good luck
viking

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts