[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - another kay ID question

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

another kay ID question

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by muttblbc » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:36 pm

Hi, I picked this guitar up years ago and have always wondered about it. Theres no markings or serial numbers that I can find anywhere on it, ive done a bunch of google searches and though I can find plenty of kay guitars with similar bodies, Ive yet to find one with the same head stock. any info on the age or model would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

muttblbc

kay

by viking » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:47 pm

thats a k 44 it was the 3rd from the top of the line solid top curly maple back and sides
viking

by VintAxe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:57 pm

Hey muttblbc.

viking is darn close. I think your guitar is a Kay K45 Professional Master Size Archtop built between 1952-54. It appears in the early 50's Kay literature I have in the Catalog Library.

VintAxe
Site Admin

kay

by viking » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:22 pm

not trying to argue my catalog shows the 45 with tortise shell binding and the white binding on a 44
viking

by VintAxe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:39 pm

No worries about arguing viking, around these parts, we just debate :)

I think maybe you have a better catalog than me. If I have the years right (1952-54) there is no K44 in my 3 catalogs. The K45 is described as having white binding.

Do you know the year of your catalog? It is likely that Kay introduced a binding option for this guitar and added a new model number to distinguish the two binding options.
VintAxe
Site Admin

kay

by viking » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:02 pm

what mine says is the45 was marketing compromise between the 46 and 44. the 44 is listed as between late 40s to the early50s. but according to this the bridge puts his at after 51. it states the45 haveing been only made for a year or two.
viking

by VintAxe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:36 pm

Very good information viking, thank you.

I may have less of a range of early 50's Kay catalogs than I thought. It is sometimes hard to tell since models didn't change as fast in the 50's and companies reused pages from previous years of their catalogs.

My 1952 catalog has a 1952 copyright date.

My 1953 catalog has a 1952 copyright date but has an Oct. 1953 pricelist with it that corresponds with the guitars in the catalog. The K45 is listed in the pricelist.

My 1954 catalog was dated based on the date of the Continental catalog it came from. There is no date on the Kay catalog itself.

Michael Wright dates the K44 from 1947-51 and the K45 from 1952-54.

So does the bridge distinguish the K44 from the K45? The bridge on muttblbc's guitar matches the K45 in my catalogs. Unfortunately, I have no picture of a K44.
VintAxe
Site Admin

kay

by viking » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:45 pm

it appears the fancy bridge appears to determine age as well as the earlier years didnt use them . l used to have quite a few kays and discovered that kay was always making changes.
viking

by viking » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:47 pm

no the bridge after that year was changed on all of them what determined it appears is the binding
viking

by VintAxe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:43 pm

Ok, then I guess I'm still unsure what we have here. If the K44 had white binding before 1951 and the K45 had white binding after 1951 as indicated in my catalogs then I'm unclear how to tell them apart.

Regardless, I think we have provided muttblbc with some quality information concerning his guitar.

Thanks for your contributions :D
VintAxe
Site Admin

by viking » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:49 pm

l would say they are basicaly the same guitar they are the same size. only difference seems in binding and the color.and what year it was marketed
viking

by muttblbc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:54 pm

thanks for the response and info!
muttblbc

by rexBaxter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:33 pm

Hey, I've got one of those too. Mine is blond, white binding, same headstock, similar bridge(not using it now), different tailpiece(probably Gibson replacement). Made 1952-54 I've read. K45 is stamped in ink inside the f-hole. I've played it live for many years with a Fishman bridge pickup. Sounds great for hard strumming. Cool guitar. See photos at www.boohooramblers.com
rexBaxter

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts