[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - BEST GLUE?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

BEST GLUE?

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by RePentant » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:07 am

As I continue my KAY acoustic guitar fix up, I've been focusing on the rosette.

It's my first time seeing a rosette attached on the inner edge of the sound hole only - not outside, not inlayed, but a simple 3 layer ring of black, white & tortoise, about an eighth of an inch thick that fits inside the sound hole.

When I first checked out the guitar, I did a reach inside to feel the bracing for anything unglued (it was solid) - but in doing so, the rosette became both detached and cracked in half - it was very brittle and already partially unglued.

I've since restored it, first using some Crazy Glue (no good) then settling on epoxy. Also, I epoxied it to an additional piece of ivory plastic to strengthen it on the bottom. Now it's pretty strong and soon ready to reglue into the sound hole.

I would like to give it a little extra support underneath - like a few small thin pieces of wood glued under the top to act as little shelves for it to sit on. Then it will be glued in as it originally was by it's black outer edge onto the sound hole's inner edge.

ALL that to ask, what sort of glue is best to stick black plastic (or celluloid?) to wood? What might have been used originally back in the late 50s or 1960s when this guitar was made?

Thanks
I never thought that everything I am, have and once had would be considered vintage. My guitars are holding up better than I am ;-p
RePentant

by viking » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:52 am

originaly they probably used fish glue or horse hoof but some glues wont stick to modern plastic . my suggestion would be to try a modern glue to a sample of the material . like a professional wood glue like weldbond . try a scrap of both materials clamp and see if it sticks well in 12 hours.
viking

by RePentant » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:28 pm

I never thought that everything I am, have and once had would be considered vintage. My guitars are holding up better than I am ;-p
RePentant

kay

by viking » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:13 pm

viking

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts