[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Is this a solid top?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Is this a solid top?

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by zhall21 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:28 pm

Hey all,

I'm new here. I just got this old archtop and was trying to figure out if it's laminate or solid top. It's hard for me to tell, and thought you all might be able to help. I was told it is a 50s Kay, but found no brand on it anywhere. Also, there is no truss rod. Someone just stuck cover on there.

Thanks guys!

zhall21

by viking » Mon May 02, 2011 10:11 am

l dont think its a kay it doesnt have much of there character . l have one and a freind had another . his was mahogany and marked b.and j . mine was same as yours l found a guy on utube his was marked regal . mine has had a metal name glued to the top and had fallen of . the one on utube had the character of a 30s guitar. in the old days a lot of towns had a local luthier so sometimes you can never be sure. they copied just like to day.
viking

by zhall21 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:37 pm

Thanks for the info man! I thought the headstock shape looked older than 50s as well. I also thought the F holes were different than most Kay acoustics I've seen. Each F hole is actually 3 holes instead of 1.

I did find a number stamped inside... "11210" Who knows what that means?

I'd like to know if it's a solid top or not though. In some spots it looks solid and in other it looks like laminate. What do you think?

Thanks again!

PS
Here's a video of me playing it. Sounds pretty good.
zhall21

by sneakypete » Tue May 03, 2011 7:12 am

sure looks like a solid top to me.
sneakypete

by sneakypete » Tue May 03, 2011 7:12 am

sure looks like a solid top to me.
sneakypete

by zhall21 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:00 am

Thanks Sneakypete. I think I'm gonna sell it, but I don't want to misrepresent it in the ad.

thanks!
zhall21

by sneakypete » Wed May 04, 2011 2:05 am

I have a stutter...sorry. Post the same pics in the ad that you posted here, should have nobody accusing you of misrepresenting the top. I have a 1950 Kiso Suzuki in that same style...called a pick guitar over here... and is all solid wood.
sneakypete

by sneakypete » Wed May 04, 2011 2:08 am

I have a stutter...sorry.
sneakypete

by Parker » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi, this is mid-30's Harmony Supertone 11 210. It is solid wood. 11 210 is the model number. Looks to me like birch. These are interesting because they have the shape of a dreadnought, but are archtops with f holes. Cool guitar.

Harmony did a lot of contracting work for stores, that allowed them to brand them with their names, or their name of choice (Regal, Sears and Roebuck, etc), and receive them different as to the Harmony labeled guitars.
Parker

by viking » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:38 pm

l have a list on supertone and can not find a 210 that not a flat top and it doesnt show one with five digits . the one l found is guite fancy.
viking

by viking » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:01 pm

l have looked on my list of harmony and can not find any with five digits only 3 or 4. l do have huge list of supertone starting from when o.s made there top of the line for sears in the us. cant find anything that looks the same except one like mine which l have seen one like it on u tube marked regal
viking

by Spud1950 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:56 pm

I checked the Supertone section on the Harmony Database site.Nothing exactly like yours.but the model 231 has the same "small dreadnought" style body.

Spud1950

by sneakypete » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:25 pm

reminds me of my 1950...dated on the label... Kiso Suzuki pick guitar that I got at a local antique shop a couple of years ago for just under $250.00 ... was all I had on me at the time and they took it. I love this thing, not only is it a beauty to look at but it plays great and is all solid wood.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/ ... uki093.jpg
sneakypete

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts