[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - An old Silvertone

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

An old Silvertone

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by Dann757 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi,
I just picked up an old Sears Silvertone acoustic flat top. Sunburst, white pickguard, single white trim strip around body. MOP round fretboard dots. Script Silvertone on the straight head. The only numbers on it are 2757H421 inside up near the neck, and B G 4 1K
Made in USA
inside the soundhole, quite small.

I would love to know how to find out the year of manufacture! I know it's pretty much a wall ornament, could be restored though.

thanks if anybody can decipher the numbers!

Dan in NJ[/img]
Dann757

by viking » Thu May 19, 2011 3:19 pm

the numbers under the neck is from harmony the other are would assume batch number l would think.
viking

by VintAxe » Thu May 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Yeah, H421 sounds like a Harmony model number but that number isn't listed on the Harmony Database.

Try looking at the Silvertone branded Harmony flat top guitars here and see if any are stylistically similar to your guitar:

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Dann757 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:01 am

Thanks very much for replies. It looks close to #602. Fret dots are a little different. One dot missing so you can't see its place at the 15th fret. Fretboard is 17 1/8" Guitar is 39 1/4".

Not sure about the image feature here, but pic is here:

http://s961.photobucket.com/albums/ae92 ... ilvertone/

I guess they made a lot of variations, still would like to find the year of manufacture. could the 2757 number mean 1957?

Dan
Dann757

by VintAxe » Sat May 21, 2011 10:53 am

Hey Dan.

I think the 2757 is a batch number. Here is a link back to the Harmony database where date stamps are discussed:

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Dann757 » Sat May 21, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks again for taking time to reply :!:

Couldn't find H421, and BG41K is beyond me. It would be awesome if it is a 1941....
Dann757

by Spud1950 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:26 pm

I think by the peghead logo and general styling, your guitar is a 1960's era Silvertone.
Spud1950

by Dann757 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Thanks Spud1950,, how did you know? Numbers all seemed very cryptic; but I realize these guitars "were made on an industrial scale" :!:
Dann757

by Spud1950 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:47 pm

I'm going by having looked at the Silvertone catalogs in the VintAxe collection.Although I couldn't find any with your exact model number,it looks overall more like similar 1960's models to me the 1940's or 1950's.
Spud1950

by Dann757 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Yeah,

Thanks for looking into it! Guitar has quite a decent loud sound even though found as is. First three strings are black nylon. Top is flat, action decent. Wall ornament for now..Significant crack on the body, I'll have to ask my luthier brother to attend to it, but that's easier said than done.......
Dann757

by doctor Guy » Mon May 23, 2011 7:15 am

it is silvertone 621, 63-67 spruce top birch back sides
http://harmony.demont.net/model.php?id=712
doctor Guy

by Dann757 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks Dr. Guy.

That is the exact guitar in a couple of the pics.
I was thrown off by my #'s and there's no Sears #'s on the back of the head.
My brother is a luthier- think I'll be able to get him to repair this guitar? Rhetorical question. Couple of bad splits on the side- definitely solid birch. Maybe he'll lend me a couple of side clamps......
Needs refinishing too....

Just as it is this guitar does have quite a sound!
Dann757

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts