[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Help me identify my Dove

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Help me identify my Dove

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by EMUtoATC » Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Hi all,

I purchased this dove from a garage sale a few days back and have been digging for info on it (to no avail) ever since. The photo quality's are a bit grainy, but I think they will do. I can post better ones if necessary. I'd appreciate ANY insight....

Here is the whole guitar.

And the body...

The bridge (saddle missing)

The neck

And the square head (tuning peg missing)

What confuses me most is; all the copies I have found do not have a square head as with this guitar. Also, it has NO manufacturer markings on it at all, aside from what might be a serial number stamped inside the body. I'm willing to provide any other information that might be helpful. Thanks greatly in advance!
EMUtoATC

by VintAxe » Sat May 21, 2011 7:02 pm

I have no idea who may have made this guitar.

The fact that it has an ebony finish suggests to me they were trying to mimic the custom ebony "Elvis Presley" Dove which was built in 1969 and used in the early 1970's. By this reasoning, the guitar was probably made in the early 1970's.

A square headstock on a 70's acoustic indicates a budget instrument. While they made some attempt to mimic Dove characteristics, they missed the mark repeatedly. So, right now I'm thinking budget Japanese import from the early 1970's.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by EMUtoATC » Sat May 21, 2011 9:55 pm

EMUtoATC

by doctor Guy » Sat May 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Last edited by doctor Guy on Mon May 23, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doctor Guy

by doctor Guy » Mon May 23, 2011 8:04 am

deleted
Last edited by doctor Guy on Mon May 23, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doctor Guy

by VintAxe » Mon May 23, 2011 7:31 pm

I'm confused. That's a nice Cortley Dove copy in your link doctor Guy but it has no resemblance to the guitar in question other than being a Dove copy. Copying the Dove acoustic was sort of like copying the Les Paul, everyone that made a guitar did it. I think your Kay link has a greater similarity to the mystery Dove.

Am I missing something? :?
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts