[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Ancient Kawai: To restore or not to restore...?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Ancient Kawai: To restore or not to restore...?

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by sinboots » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:02 am

Have this aged and much abused Kawai (serial No W811) and deciding whether or not to give loads of restorative tlc (machine heads, nut, bridge, truss rod cover, bindings, refinish etc) or just clean, polish, tweak the neck and restring. Left to me, I'll restore it as a playable guitar with a new lease of life but if it's likely to be of interest to anyone as a venerable piece of acoustic guitar history I'll leave well alone...

JeremyImage
Image :?:
sinboots

by VintAxe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:11 pm

sinboots, it is my opinion that this guitar is too far gone to spend the money trying to fix it. You will spend more in parts and time than the guitar will be worth when you finish. I think you are better off putting your money toward another Japanese acoustic from the same era that is in good shape.

I'm also not sure about that bridge setup. It is clearly a replacement that someone has just screwed to the top of the guitar. At the least I would fear intonation problems since it is crooked; at worst it might just pop off under string tension.

I rarely give up on an instrument, but this one should only be tackled as a labor of love.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by sinboots » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:45 pm

The bridge is great isn't it? I'm turning the K into a blues guitar - new nut/bridge/m'heads. Open tuned, slide - for pub sessions I'd rather keep the Martin & the Tak away from!
sinboots

by VintAxe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Sounds like a good compromise :wink:

Here is a little inspiration for your work. Check out Seasick Steve getting a lot of sound out of his 3 string Teisco. You won't need to buy the tuners if you drop yours down to 3 strings :)

Scroll to the bottom of the thread:
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts