[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - New with Another Grampas Kay Archtop to Id

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

New with Another Grampas Kay Archtop to Id

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by Grogel » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:39 pm

Ive looked through the forum archives and spent a couple hours looking round the internet and cant find one just like this.

I know that Gramp bought this when he was 18 with money he earned working as a pin setter in a bowling alley out in Washington state.

The Metal braces where put on by my great grandfather when one of gramps brothers fell on it and split the side.

My Grandfather is still around and Im finally able to afford it so its with Erin Randolph right now for restoration.

Value isnt a concern, its priceless to me but Id like to know what model it is.

Heres Gramp with it...

Grogel

by Grogel » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:07 pm

following this link found in another thread http://books.google.com/books?id=msEJ8c ... ar&f=false

it sounds similar to the oahus made by Kay in 1937.

It does have the same knobs and little back plates as the Oahu in this link.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/v ... r-62583031
Grogel

by Grogel » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 pm

looks most like this spanish electric

http://musicaviva.com/instruments/galle ... ienr=33128
Grogel

by VintAxe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:55 pm

Hey Grogel.

It looks to me like you found the guitar in that MusicaViva link. I don't own the 1939 Continental Catalog so I can't offer any better images than you see on their webpage.

Thanks for the great images of your Gramps with the guitar. :)
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Grogel » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:24 am

Thanks to you and the forum, Found it with the help of info found here.
Grogel

by Spud1950 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:11 pm

"it sounds similar to the oahus made by Kay in 1937."

A little late, but here's the Oahu branded version. Slightly different,but pretty much the same guitar.

What a great family heirloom and early example of an electrified "Spanish guitar".
Spud1950

by Grogel » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Thank you for the link Spud. One more piece of the puzzle.

I get the impression that at the end of the depression/beginning of the war what was cataloged may not have made that much difference to the guys grabbing parts from the bins :) no wasting parts.

What are the chances... the luthier who has my guitar has another kay spanish electric in his shop right now too.

If your on facebook he has been posting photos of his progress on that one.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Erin-Rand ... 4959195899

I notice that both the one Erin is working on, and the Oahus labeled guitar have F holes with detached scroll ends and hump style heads while mine has a single continuous F hole and a pointed head.

Even when gramp gave me this Kay it was split enough that it didnt stay in tune. I am really excited knowing that Im going to be able to play it!
Grogel

by Spud1950 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:01 am

Cool. I like seeing those repair in progress pics. Will he be showing yours when he gets to it? It would be interesting to see how he rehabilitates,so to speak, your great grand dad's repair!
Spud1950

by Mgeek » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:47 am

So cool...
Mgeek

by Grogel » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:44 am

He will be posting pics of mine when he gets to it. I asked him to not try and make My great grandfathers repair invisible.

Maybe its sappy but that repair is part of the history of the guitar for me so I asked for small contrasting dot inlays. Gone but not forgotten.
Grogel

by Grogel » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:26 am

Grogel

by Grogel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:04 am

Erin Randolf did a wonderful Job!

Grogel

by Spud1950 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:54 pm

Great to see it brought back to life. He did indeed do a great job. This picture off his site really shows off his excellent work.

This guitar just oozes mojo!
Spud1950

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts