The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

1940s Gibson issues?

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by Camaro55 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:40 pm

Hello all, I'm new to this site and new to the vintage guitar game. I've been playing for a while and wanting a vintage acoustic for some time now, and i have stumbled across what I believe to be a 40s model Gibson. I don't kno that much about it, but it does have a bent neck. I was wondering if anyone believes this guitar is worth fixing? They guy is asking 400 and I'm just wanting some opinions and things to look for when buying a vintage guitar. Any replies are well appreciated, and thanks anyone for their time. Hopefully I can't learn some stuff from you guys!
Camaro55

by Spud1950 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:30 am

"Bent neck" is just too general a term. A neck can be bent a bit forward as with neck relief,which isn't necessarily a bad thing if it's the correct amount or it can be too much,which would not be good. It can also mean that it's bent back or bowed as it called,which is usually a bad thing. If it does have a neck problem, without being able to see what the problem is to try to determine a possible repair cost, and without knowing exactly what model and year it is to determine what it's potential value might be once repaired, it's impossible to say whether the asking price is fair or not. Pictures and a serial number are needed.
Spud1950

by Camaro55 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:23 am

I will take some pics and get all the information needed when I go check it out, Wich may be the begging of next week
Camaro55

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts