[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - old lyra parlor guitar - help with dating needed

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

old lyra parlor guitar - help with dating needed

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by Fayray » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:41 pm

Hi folks. This is my first post here and i have to admit that I'm more of a vintage drum person. That said, I keep coming across interesting guitars that follow me home. The latest is a Lyra parlor guitar that looks pretty old. I wondered if anyone here could shed some light on this guitar - age and what type of woods it's made of primarily.

It's in pretty decent shape but looks to missing the original bridge and the nut has been replaced with what seems to be a 12 string nut.

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.ph ... u=14273398

I'd be greatful for any info.

Andrew
Fayray

by VintAxe » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:55 am

Hi Andrew.

Lyra was a rebrand distributed by C Bruno and Son in the 1920's. Here is a guitar similar to yours that is attributed to the builder Oscar Schmidt.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Fayray » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Fayray

by viking » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:58 pm

l specialize in parlor guitars and older guitars . l dont think itwas made by o.s. as it doesnt have some of the characteristics l would expect to see. Bruno also bought from any number of makers , both japan , american , germany and so on. in the early 1920s that style was very poplular l have seen them from overseas. sometimes copies of american made.not all haveing a zero fret either.
viking

by Fayray » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:31 pm

thanks Viking, that's interesting. I've spent a fair amount of time trawling the net for info and had come to the conclusion it was American but there is not a lot to go on. So what you're saying is that it could be American or Japanese etc and sold new in America?

Cheers
Andrew
Fayray

by viking » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:29 pm

it just doesnt have some of the character . some hints is ,is it ladder braced, does it have a number on the top brace below the sound hole,is the top kerfing square. thats just some of the things to look for . that is not all but l would have to see it in person . but that would be a long trip lol
viking

by Fayray » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks again. I had to look up the term "kerfing" (I'm a drummer remember) and i can say that it is cut at an angle the same as the bottom kerfing (see pic). It is ladder braced (had to look that up too). There are no numbers anywhere that I can see but i did find a "made in the USA" stamp on the block inside the body at the neck joint.
I know it's going to be pretty hard to identify conclusively but it does interest me.

Fayray

by viking » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:50 pm

l would guess at a regal, or a richter they made a lot for jobbers. haveing square kerfing isnt a for sure as others used it sometims as well. l have been researching some guitars for more than a year. as l am retired l have the time.as a matter of fact l am playing a os stella as l opened the computer. my opinion O S made some of the best 6 and 12 string in the day. l keeping looking for more. have fun
viking

by Fayray » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:29 am

thanks Viking
Fayray

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts