[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - CA 56 Kay Master Cutaway Restoration project

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

CA 56 Kay Master Cutaway Restoration project

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by pluckingalong » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:41 pm

Hello to all, I am new to this forum and hoping someone may be able to help me find some items for a guitar I am looking to restore.

This was my Dad's guitar he used for many years and I now have it after he passed. I wanted to verify that it is a Kay Master Cutaway and if so I am looking for the missing items such as the pic guard. Can someone let me know where I might be able to find the items to properly restore it? Any help is much appreciated.

pluckingalong

by VintAxe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:04 pm

Hey pluckingalong.

The logo on your guitar indicates it is from 1956-57. I can't really see the body shape in your picture but based on the tailpiece I'm guessing you have a model K1-5. The K1-5 is known as a "master" model since it has a 17 inch wide body.

From what I see all you need is a pickguard. There are a few guys on eBay that reproduce Kay pickguards. Here's one to get you started. Contact him and see if he can produce your part.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:20 pm

That eBay seller does have the correct pickguard, although the K1-5 in the 1956 catalog doesn't that Kay logo stamped into it. From what I can see in the catalogs,all the master sized cutaway acoustic archtop models used this same guard.

You're also missing the pickguard standoff bracket,as you can see at the bottom edge of the guard on this Kay arctop.

Edit- I missed it.He's also got the bracket!

And the mounting screws and spacer kit!

Spud1950

by pluckingalong » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:59 pm

Thanks for the help on this , hopefully I can get the pick gaurd and get this guitar spruced up soon!
pluckingalong

by pluckingalong » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:32 pm

pluckingalong

by VintAxe » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:15 pm

VintAxe
Site Admin

by pluckingalong » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:12 pm

pluckingalong

by Spud1950 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:42 pm

Spud1950

by pluckingalong » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:27 pm

We'll do. Thanks again for the input.

Here she is after a through cleanup and replacing the pickguard.

pluckingalong

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts