[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - vintage unknown guitar? please help!!!(PHOTOS ADDED)

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

vintage unknown guitar? please help!!!(PHOTOS ADDED)

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by pyromaniac » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:59 pm

my grandfather gave me this acoustic guitar told me he thought it was a gibson. he had recieved it in 1956 from my grandmother who purchased it for $70 at a guitar shop. i have already brought it to 2 guitar shops and was told both times they have no idea what it was. there is no brand name anywhere on it only some serial numbers that read L9975*6118 in the body inked in. the only other markings are on the back of the tuners that read kluson deluxe and i have also looked these up to find out they put these on mostly gibsons and fenders from 1956-1958. any help would be great, trying to see if i should restore it or leave it be, all in all its in fairly good shap for being so old. thanx for your help and willing to sell.

Image Image
ImageImage
Last edited by pyromaniac on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
pyromaniac
pyromaniac

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:46 am

DEFINITELY not a Gibson.

That there is a mid-50's Kay, something like a model K18 or K24. Its missing the headstock emblem and pickguard, and it appears as though the bridge has been screwed or bolted through the top. (Not so good in terms of resale.)

I, personally, would not restore it, especially if you're planning on selling it. You'll spend more for a full-on restoration than you'll make in a sale.

Besides, that piece looks like its got 60 or so years of your grandfather's soul banged and scratched into it, and from my perspective, that's something you should never buff out or cover up haha...

I would, however, have that bridge re-glued, especially if you yourself are a player. These old Kays are rock-solid guitars with a great tone. I should know, I own a number of them. Fix the bridge, have the frets dressed, and lubricate the tuners, and you'll have one solid axe.
Michael Ambrose

by theehman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:11 pm

Looks like a Kay K18 to me, from around 1956. The K24 would have a 17" body with block inlays.
Ron Neely II
The EH Man, All-Knowing Guru of Electro-Harmonix
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs
theehman

by pyromaniac » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:19 pm

thank for all the help. it still plays great even with the bridge being messed with, been playing it for a year now with no problems. even if restoring it would cost more than selling it it would still be a cool thing to do for my grandpa to show him it means alot to me, maybe get his name put on it, anyways i think i will just keep it.again thats really helps thanks guys
pyromaniac
pyromaniac

by VintAxe » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:11 pm

I'm afraid a K18 doesn't have a lot of value despite it's age. There is no K18 listed in the Blue Book but Zach does list a K24 which he values at $325-$400 in average condition. Given the K18 is a less desirable model and your guitar is in below average condition you might expect a value between $150-$250 assuming you can find the right guy.

I think you are making the right decision to keep it, that will likely make your grandpa happier than anything else you do with it. It is an object that will remind you of him and I would guess that is the most important thing to him. :wink:
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts