[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Help identifying old parlour - Harmony maybe?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Help identifying old parlour - Harmony maybe?

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by stevenscustomguitars » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Hello,

I've just bought this little thing....

....and was wondering if anyone could help I.D. it.

I looks a lot like a Harmony Supertone S200 but without the decoration. Here's a picture of one that was on ebay recently.

Here are a few more photos of it. Any opinions would be gratefully received. I'm guessing it's a birch body but not sure about the neck/fingerboard. The seller measured the action at the 12th at 4mm - looks like it might drop off where the neck meets the body.

stevenscustomguitars

by VintAxe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Wow, without dimensions, I'd say you are pretty on with the ID stevenscustomguitars. No signs that your instrument has been sanded down and refinished in the past? It does look like the neck has been off of it in the past.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by stevenscustomguitars » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:46 pm

I don't actually have it in my hands at the moment but I'm assuming it has been sanded down. And you're right, I think the glue spill at the side of the fingerboard does suggest a re-set, I just hope it's been done well!

Thanks.
stevenscustomguitars

by VintAxe » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Well, I hope it is a decent player. Give us an update once you get a chance to inspect and play it. Any observations you can make about construction materials/techniques would be much appreciated.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by stevenscustomguitars » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:56 am

Well, I finally have it in my hands, took 2 days by Royal Mail Standard Parcel (£10) so that puts my total spend at £42.

I was pretty nervous opening it expecting it to be in a right state. The case is very old and beat up, with a blue-ish felt inside, maybe original? I'll post a photo later.

Actually it's not too bad. It has been stripped and varnished - badly. Obviously done by an amateur, so the grain is really rough through the varnish.
The top is not completely flat and bows out slightly to the sides of the soundhole. I imagine this is normal? Haven't had a good look yet but the braces feel solid.

The neck has been off at some time and has glue spill out that will need removing. I think when they did they damaged the neck and unglued/warped part of the top next to the neck, unless that was a break that was repaired hence the glue, but it doesn't seem to go through/round.

The top needs glueing back down in a couple of places and the side at the lower bout needs pulling back in and glueing to the top.

Someone has filed down the slots in the wooden nut in order to make the action better at the lower frets and as a result the nut has broken in places, simple enough to cut a new bone nut.

All in all, nothing major and despite all this, I put on a set of custom light elixirs, set the intonation and had a play. Wow! what a lovely sound, it has a roughness to it but also a real sweet sound when played finger-style. And slide obviously sounds great. The action is fine, perhaps a tad too low at the first frets, only the outside bass string buzzes. Again, a new nut will sort this.

The seller neglected to mention any of this despite me asking specific questions about the condition and finish so I don't feel bad at all about the fact that he didn't know what it was. ;)

What i was really hoping for was a date and model stamp, and I was delighted to find this which I think dates it to Fall 1947?

And this which I can't read

It also has a serial number near the heel which reads something like 3105H929 - the 05 is very feint and I'm not really sure about it but at least I know it was an H929.

I really like knowing that stuff!

Now I just need to decide what to do with it. I'll do a few simple glue repairs, probably cut the new nut and then decide if I need to do a reset but first impression would suggest not.

The I need to decide how to refinish it. My preferences:

1. Remove the varnish, finish sand and apply Tru-oil. The birch top is lovely and this would really make it pop.

2. Recreate something that pays Homage to the look of an H929 but without the fake tiger stripe, maybe just a light stain and the a nitro sunburst.

Also need to decide whether to repaint the headstock and re- 'ebonize' the fingerboard and paint on fret markers, or inlay both the Stella logo the fret markers. I'm not intending to return it to original and I'm only doing it for fun as it obviously wouldn't be worth it if I was going to sell it. Does anyone have any photos of an H929 from 47 so I can see exactly what design elements it has? When did the steel reinforced neck come in?

What do you reckon, which way should I go?

Anyway, all in all a great guitar that I am delighted with.

Cheers

Dave
stevenscustomguitars

by viking » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:21 pm

l would say you have it those are harmony numbers also you can go on the internet and theres a huge web site with a good number of picture of most all the harmony made . just make sure you put vintage in the search.
viking

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts