[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - NGD Vintage Kamico Archtop (PICS)

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

NGD Vintage Kamico Archtop (PICS)

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by phildog » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Well guys, hello again! I went back to the thrift store today. A week ago, I picked a beautiful Mansfield in which I posted a thread. But today, I went back and picked up this Kamico L9694. Once again, I'm quite satisfied with the $5 I spent. It even came with it's OHSC. But guys, she really needs to be refinished. It behooves me to think that someone could be so neglectful of an instrument. To me, it doesn't matter whether it costs $1 or $1000. Take care of it!!! Looking at the pics, it's CLEAR that the prior owner didn't care for it at all. In fact, the house-paint splatters on it tells me that she was just downright neglected. Structurally, she seems quite sound. In fact, it plays pretty good, but I removed the strings because they were so rusty. Besides, she needed a good cleaning. The fretboard was a solid brownish color until I cleaned it and gave her some lemon oil. She looks great now. Well, don't get ill from watching, but here she is....

phildog

by VintAxe » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:50 pm

Interesting find phildog.

Kamico was a brand name used by Kay-Kraft Instrument Company starting in 1947. I don't know how long the brandname lasted but Michael Wright lists a couple of Kamico models that were produced from 1947-1951. They are the model 8457 and 5429. The knobby headstock profile on your instrument was used by Kay up to 1957 so it is doubtful your guitar is more recent than 1957 and may be up to 10 years older.

I wouldn't bother with trying to refinish the guitar, just get the paint splatters off as best you can and play it. Consider the hard life just part of the guitar's history.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by guitarist09 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:20 pm

what a beautiful guitar! Good find! Congrats :D
guitarist09

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts