[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Should I upgrade tuners?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Should I upgrade tuners?

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by Poolcat » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:11 pm

I have a Guild D25 from the early 70's. It has the original opened gear plates. They don't hold tuning very well and I'd like to swap in a set of Grover's. My plans are to keep the originals to swap back in at what time I decide to sell it but the holes would have to be enlarged. So I need to know if upgrading the tuners would seriously devalue this guitar. Or could it actually add value to a guitar of this vintage? Any advice would be appreciated.
Poolcat

by Speedy77 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:11 am

Hey there! I recently did a resto project on a 60's acoustic guitar, and ran into a similar problem. My tuners were extremely dry, and didn't hold a tune very well. They also had two bent posts, which made me decide to purchase new ones. Unfortunately the tuners I had were smaller than todays popular size, so I was forced to use the originals or drill holes. Before I started drilling, I decided to see if I could fix up the old ones. I found this great site with a tutorial on reviving vintage mandolin tuners http://www.lutherie.net/tuner.maintenance.html which are luckily similar to the ones on my guitar. I followed the steps and now the tuners work perfectly, and I only had to spend about $7 on lubricant that I can use on other projects as opposed to the cost of new tuners. I'm not very familiar with your brand of guitar, but I would definitely recommend trying to fix up the tuners before drilling holes for new ones, it's definitely worth it.
Speedy77

by Poolcat » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:41 am

Yo Speedy77, This is excellent and just what I was hoping to hear. I don't really have a problem with the open gears (although most contemporary axes have the sealed kind) as long as they work well. And they ARE the original so I feel I'm not forced to do a mod that I can't undo for the next owner. Thanks so much for your "Speedy" advice.
Poolcat

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts