The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

What were early 30's Harmony ebonized fretboards made from?

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by Speedy77 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:43 pm

I've got a potential guitar project awaiting me at the local buy and sell. It's a 1929-1936 Harmony-made Bradley Kincaid Houn' Dog guitar. It seems very well constructed, however it's falling apart in many areas due to old glue and has some nasty surface damage. To be honest I was just looking to get some experience in guitar restoration and figured I'd pick it up and try my best to restore it to it's original condition. The major part missing is the fretboard, which will need to be replaced. I've looked all over online and I cannot seem to find anything on what the fretboard was made out of. The articles simply say that it's made from ebonized hardwood, but there are so many types of wood it could be. Does anybody know what type of hardwood this most likely was? I would like to stay as original as possible, just for the sake of a true restoration. Also, does anyone know what type of protectant the guitar would have had on it? I have left over nitro from another project, but what would the fretboard be coated in? Thanks for reading, hopefully someone out there knows what I'm asking!
Speedy77

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts