[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Need help identifying this guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Need help identifying this guitar

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by LowNote » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:02 pm

New kid on the block here. I have an old Kay acoustic and would like to know more about it. There are no numbers or model name on it. It does have an interesting neck height adjustment feature though. There is a wing nut on the neck block the is attached to the heal that you loosen to raise or lower the neck.
The owner said that his dad bought it in Hawaii in the 1960's. The head stock sticker says Aloha Hawaii.

LowNote
LowNote

by ship of fools » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:34 am

It would be easier to identify if you could post better pictures of the head decal, I think it says Aloha so it might be like these.
http://www.jedistar.com/aloha.htm
But I do think that neck modification was not factory done and was done by someone looking to maybe fix a bad neck and this was there way to do a neck re-set.ship
ship of fools

by LowNote » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:13 pm

Thanks for the reply ship. I checked the web site. The head stock label does say Aloha and under the coat of arms it says Hawaii. The label is identical to the one on the web site. The "K" label is not on the instruments on the web site and "KAY" guitars were made in Chicago as the label says. The guitars on the web site were made in Hawaii.
The neck is in really good shape for it's age and doesn't look like it was bad and there is a label in the sound hole giving directions on how to adjust the neck. I don't think that someone would make the neck mechanism and apply a label with directions. I could be wrong though.

LowNote
LowNote

by ship of fools » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:51 am

Hey Lownote could you post a picture of it for me I would love to see how it was set up and it won't be the first time that I was wrong about a guitar.ship
Oh and I have a friend who restores older model parlors and such and will forward the post to him and see what he thinks.
Last edited by ship of fools on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ship of fools

by Spud1950 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:34 pm

The adjustable neck angle feature is indeed a factory item. This site about Kay history explains how it came about to be featured on certain Kay models.

As to the Aloha decal, the Aloha Publishing and Musical Instrument Company of Chicago was an outfit in Chicago that operated music lesson schools all around the country,published and sold sheet music, and offered a line of instruments with their name on them actually made for them by Kay, Harmony, and other makers. They were very active during the Hawaiin music craze of the 20s and 30s. Yours looks to me to be somewhere of the 1930s.
Spud1950

by ship of fools » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks Spud I have never seen a neck reset done like that so I have kept it in my favs. Interesting that they thought of something like that back then/ship
ship of fools

by Spud1950 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:07 pm

I found some pictures of the neck taken off that show the details of the workings.

Spud1950

by LowNote » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:37 am

Hey, thanks ship and spud. Any idea of it's value?

LowNote
LowNote

by LowNote » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:11 pm

Any idea as to what the pick guard looked like?

LowNote
LowNote

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts