[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Kay dreadnought info sought - Elmore James model

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Kay dreadnought info sought - Elmore James model

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by snakehips » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:29 pm

Hi there !

I'm brand new to this forum - and it certainly looks to be the place to be to find out information.

I'm trying to date the earliest possible date that my guitar could have been manufactured - and indeed the earliest date that this model was first produced. Actually, I now have two of these lovely guitars. They are much higher quality than the usual 1960's Kay cheap+cheerful stuff.

Here it is :

The front :

image.jpg

The back :

image.jpg

It's got Kluson Super (aka Waffleback) tuners - these were normally reserved for high end Gibsons, Gretsches and some other brands. It's got the Kanti-Lever truss rod system - but by about 1956 I think, Kay catalogues seem to start calling it the "Speed Demon" neck adjustment system instead - but same thing, as far as I can tell.
It's got real nice rosewood back and sides too.

As far I can see, searching the vintaxe database, this guitar first shows up in a 1958 (Kay) catalogue - mainly showing Barney Kessel endorsed guitars.
Elmore James is shown in B&W photos from 1957 (I assume the dates are correct) with one of these guitars. His looks like he has had it a while as it has quite a few modifications.

image.jpg
Elmore

The K-26 and K-27 jumbo models, with the same headstock, were available much earlier, so I am assuming it is possible that this dreadnought version was available much earlier.

Both my dreadnought Kay's have the model no. 6000 stamped inside them, if that helps
(NB. could be L6000 - need to check again !)

Here is my other one, with Dearmond pickups on it, just like Elmore's :

And this is what it sounds like, with the Dearmond Rhythm Chief pickup plugged in (without the soundhole pickup even installed) :
(Note - when I made this video, I thought the guitar was from the late 1940's)

snakehips

by snakehips » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:31 am

Hi again !

My Kay with the Dearmond pickups on it has had the whole bridge replaced - in case any of you noticed it looks a little bit different in shape, to the originals. When I got it about 9yrs ago, it had 4 badly rusted strings on it. With a new pack of strings between my teeth, I excitedly cut off the 4 rusted strings - and the neck fell off !!!!!
So, I sent it to a much respected luthier - and found it needed a lot of work - new bridge, new bridge-plate inside, fix a guitar-top crack that ran along the treble-edge side of the fingerboard extension, refret, etc etc !
Now it's an amazing guitar - and probably miles better than it ever was brand new.
snakehips

by opotable » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:12 pm

feck me but that's a helluva lot of de armonds on an acoustic!

even if we never see ya again, well met!
opotable

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts