[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Trying to date a Gibson L-50 (I think)

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Trying to date a Gibson L-50 (I think)

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by ljs3mil » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:42 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to date my dad's old Gibson archtop which, I believe, is an L-50 from the 1930s or 1940s (that's what it looks like based on online searches). There isn't any visible serial number or other specific identifying feature on it, and I'm wondering if there is any way to narrow the date further. Here's the information I have:

The guitar looks pretty much like these:

The body is 16" wide.The guitar has f-holes and a sunburst finish on the front, which is spruce. The back and sides are a reddish brown and look like mahogany, but I'm not sure of that.

The Gibson logo is the says "Gibson" and is of the older style (none of the letters drop below the others) and is inlaid pearl.

The fretboard has dot inlays beginning at the third fret.

The tailpiece is trapeze style with a raised diamond on it.

The tuning keys were (they have been replaced but my dad has originals) 3 on-a-plate.

Is there anything that might help me narrow down the date?

ljs3mil

by jedistar » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:22 am

jedistar

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts