[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 1930's - 1940's Kay archtop?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

1930's - 1940's Kay archtop?

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by nlfolst » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:45 pm

I am looking for assistance for determining what year my Kay is from? There are no markings, just the little green Kay guitar company seal inside. Thanks. Image

Image[/img]
nlfolst

by VintAxe » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Hey nlfolst,

Have you seen this VG article by Michael Wright that discusses these instruments?

VintAxe
Site Admin

by nlfolst » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Thanks for the article. It gives some general idea. I am trying to find out the exact time period of this piece though. If someone can identify certain parts that makes it a specific year, etc. This guitar has so much volume, and i'd like to answer the question, "what type of guitar is that, and how old is it." Thanks much, Noel
nlfolst

by VintAxe » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:05 pm

Hi Noel,

At the moment, I'm thinking your Kay is a post WWII model. Although the headstock style on your instrument was introduced in 1938, I don't think it has a 1938 logo. Judging from the photos, your archtop is made completely of Honduras mahogany (If I'm wrong about this, let me know).

Here is a picture of an all mahogany K20 from 1939. Although it is difficult to make out, I don't think the logo looks like the logo on your guitar. The K20 also has 9 pearl dots rather than the 5 dots seen on your guitar. It is possible you have the K5 which is a smaller version of the K20 but I don't have a picture of the K5 to confirm that possibility.

Now back to my hypothesis that your Kay is post WWII. Here is a picture of a 1947 K36. It is hard to make out, but I think the logo matches your logo. However, notice this K36 also has the 9 dots rather than the 5 dots on your instrument. Other than that, I think we have a decent match.

The problem with assigning an exact date is that these guitars were made from 1947 to 1951. So, I don't think we have an exact model, or an exact date but if the guitar were mine, I would focus on trying to find 47-51 Kay literature to establish a positive ID.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by nlfolst » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:25 am

I do thank you for your info. It is very helpful. Indeed, it is Mahogony. I agree it looks like the later model with the exception being the fret markers, and the tailpiece.
nlfolst

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts