[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - "First National Institute Of Allied Arts" student

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

"First National Institute Of Allied Arts" student

Post all questions concerning your Acoustic Guitar here

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by Michael Ambrose » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:28 am

Now, I just had to ask myself... should I post this in "American Guitars" because of its US relevance (being made available through only one US based music school/correspondence course)... or in "European Guitars" because of its country of origin? Ah, safest bet... acoustics! haha... (I often forget about this folder, since I'm not much of an acoustic guy.)

I've been told these were made in Germany... but I'd love to know more about the company...

It DID come with this awesome purple-lined not-so-hardshell case... s thats cool... (Its strange... its harder than those junk chipboard cases... but its thinner than a wooden shell case... even the latches on it are heavier-duty!)

Also... there's a rubber stamp inside on the top bracing reading "1036"... Serial? Date stamp?

Any ideas??
Michael Ambrose

by Bob K » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:27 am

What a cool looking acoustic! Put that first picture in the dictionary next to the word "MOJO"... :lol:

How does it sound, Michael?

Bob
Bob K

by Michael Ambrose » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:16 pm

Let me say this... It handles like a tank, but its a pure pleasure to drive.

The sound is ALMOST like a Martin 018, but more round, more bottomy.

Seriously... I think this is the guitar that'll get me back in acoustics... the feel is big and blocky, the sound is round and fat... LOVE it.

I've got a piezo element that I'm going to put under the bridge, swap the strap button for a strap button insert...

...maybe. hahaha...

...let me tell you about the beauty of running a Shure 520 into Kay 703 tube combo... I usually use it for playing the harp... but man, putting it right up to the sound hole and blasting it out of there... DAMN!

I'm contemplating finding another one of these, getting an extension nut, and setting it up for slide.

LOVE IT
Michael Ambrose

by Michael Ambrose » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:53 am

Six-month project update!

So over vacation I've FINALLY gotten a chance to install my piezo and end-pin insert.... after sitting on the shelf for six months haha!!

mmm mmm mmm...

there really is something hot about playing a nearly-80-year-old guitar... and the piezo does exactly what I thought it would. I'd put this up against a Martin any day of the week... in tone, at least... haha... I don't think this thing was built for either comfort OR speed!

Still...

I've been messing around with some old Son House and Leadbelly tunes... I feel like I should be downing some shots of corn-liquor right now haha!
Michael Ambrose

by sneakypete » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:13 pm

very cool. My oldest is a 1948 Suzuki nylon string, and one thing for sure...they were`t made of plywood in those years...and no plastic on mine, the binding is all wood.
I have a few of those "hard" cases too, evidently standard in the 50s and early 60s in Japan, interesting in their own right and better than the soft cases I see here but when it comes time to ship some guitars back home when we return, I`ll be using thick guitar shipping boxes and place the cases inside those with lots of bubble wrap.
I have several old Yamaha Dynamic nylons too, from the 50s and 60s, each one is made of all solid flame maple wood, solid spruce tops and I know maple has a reputation for being bright but honestly, the old Dynamics are deep voiced. I own a few modern acoustics too, Larrivees, a Lakewood couple of Morris acoustics among others but when I reach for an acoustic, it`s always the old nylons I go for now...everybody seems to be throwing themselves at the Yamaha red labels nowadays, maybe because the Dynamics are unknown, not sure , but I can`t seem to stop buying them, see red labels all the time but have yet to play one that sounds better than any of my Dynamics...and I really like the fat necks...no trussrods, no problems and no resets envisioned anytime soon.
If I come across one like yours pictured above it`ll surely be added to the collection, just love those oldies.
sneakypete

by jeff mercer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:01 am

Hey, Micheal, there is an identical one on Ebay at the moment- 320294384005- if you are interested. Looks to have the same number stamped on the brace, or is this one your guitar ? Cheers.
jeff mercer

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:02 am

Hi Jeff...

No, not mine... haha... Not yet at least... I didn't plan on it, but mine actually might end up on Ebay shortly as well... ah, the life of a working musician...

(PS... if anyone's interested, i've installed a Piezo with a strap-button insert and cut a new tortoise pickguard based off the original... the neck has a bow and there's no truss adjustment... hell, with the depth of the neck, I'm pretty sure there's no truss rod at all hahaha... but its a MEAN player...)

Hm... I wonder if that number is a date-stamp, not a serial? EXACT same as mine!... 1036... October 1936? 10th week of 1936?
Michael Ambrose

by roagie » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:23 am

Michael ,,I also have a Ovation guitar in its own hard case ill put a photo on the site..I dont play but have collected some for differant resons..
roagie

by Michael Ambrose » Fri May 08, 2009 11:23 am

Michael Ambrose

by jerwag1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:24 am

Michael,
I looked at an identical First National guitar yesterday that is advertised for sale on Craigslist in Petaluma, CA. The guitar, case, and original accessories are in "as-new" condition. It is a small, inexpensive, student instrument designed to be played as an acoustic lap steel (Hawaiian) guitar. That's why the bridge is so high. There is a pressed steel extender mounted on the nut. The action is so high it would be impossible to fret the strings. The accessories include a set of finger picks and a flat steel bar that is knurled on 2 sides to provide a gripping surface. Perhaps a previous owner of your guitar removed the nut extender to make it (marginally) playable as a standard guitar. Of course, as you found, without lowering the bridge the action would still be too high. I suspect that the practice of playing guitar with a bar or bottle neck in open tunings in Hawaii and the South was engendered by otherwise unplayable guitars with very warped necks. They were "useless cast-offs" that some creative folks figured out how modify and play in a new way.
jerwag1

by Spud1950 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:51 pm

This guitar was indeed made to be played as a lap steel guitar. First National Institute Of Allied Arts was a company out of Los Angeles that sold student level instruments,guitars,violins,ukuleles,etc. and instructional books and sheet music. Those guitars were sold during the 1920s,1930s Hawaiian music craze. Here's the Craigslist ad.

Here's one of their pieces of sheet music.

Spud1950

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:46 pm

Bringing this back up to the top, for the purposes of a shameless plug... hahaha...

My band's album is FINALLY coming out... and here's the cover, featuring my trusty First National!!

I didn't actually use it on the record, but you can hear it on our demo HERE...

http://lestroischaud.bandcamp.com/track ... ack-to-you
Michael Ambrose

Return to Vintage Acoustic Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts