[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Vintage Sears Silvertone Model 1457 Amp-in-Case

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Vintage Sears Silvertone Model 1457 Amp-in-Case

List guitars and other musical equipment you would like to sell or trade. If your item is currently listed in an Auction, please post in the Online Auction section above.

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Chant » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:46 pm

I've had this guitar for decades and didn't know it was worth anything until recently. Is anyone here interested in a Vintage (1964 to 1966) Sears Silvertone Model 1457 Amp-in-Case (6-string) guitar?

I am asking $750, or will consider reasonable offer. Buyer agrees to pay for all shipping and handling costs.

Here's the original description from the 1964 Sears catalogue: (Taken from Silvertone Collector Site)

"All-in-1 Guitar Outfit"
The Guitar...long 21-fret fingerboard of Brazilian rosewood. Dual pickups let you switch from full deep tones to sharp, treble tones. 2 volume, 2 tone controls. Solid-center body. Sunburst red finish, sparkling silver color accents. Description from VintageSilvertones.com

Case and amplifier....3 tubes plus rectifier; volume, tone controls; tremolo strength and speed controls. On-off foot switch for remote tremolo. Big 8 inch speaker. Vinyl-covered hardboard, with red rayon lining, sparkling trim. About 39 x 14 x 3 inches. model 1457L weight approximately 27 pounds. “

I've read that the amp is suppose to be 5 watts, but the printing on the amp itself says, 50 watts 5 amps. Also the pickups are wired in series and are actually housed in lipstick containers. (Thus they are called "Lipstick Pickups") The information I could find says it was produced for only 2 years in '64 to '66. I took it apart to look for the serial number to get an exact date, but there is nothing stamped there like there is suppose to be. There is just a pencilled in number "41" it looks like within the neck socket. On the neck heel itself where the serial number is supposed to be stamped, is a handwritten number 6 over a red handwritten ‘R’.

The outside of the case is a little dinged up with some minor tears and small stains in the covering. The handle and clasps are all original and work, but have some rust/wear on them. The inside of the case is fair to good, with only a small ½ to ¾” hole worn in the red rayon lining where the bottom guitar neck screw rests against it.

The amp has all its original tubes, and works. It also has the original guitar cord that also still works. It also has the original foot-switch for the Tremolo effect however it does not work the Tremolo effect. I took the unit apart and used a multimeter. The switch itself seems to work fine when tested but the ¼” jack seems to conduct between the hot tip and the barrel no matter what, so I’m guessing the insulation in the jack plug itself has broken down from age or the wire itself is shorted somewhere. The Tremolo effect can be turned on and off using the controls however for the moment.

The guitar itself is in very good shape, except for a few minor dings, mostly in the headstock. I just put a set of Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky (9 to 46) on it. The neck seems straight, the action low, and I could detect no fret buzz anywhere along the neck. The pots and pick-up selector all seemed to work fine. I’m not a guitar player (I play bass actually) but I hooked it up to my nephew’s Crate amp and the guitar had a nice bright clean sound to it. It also has the original strap knobs and even the little plastic cord holder is still there right next to the cord jack.

It's all-original except for the following items:
Two (2) screws in the case hinge had fallen out and were replaced.
One (1) screw in the amp faceplate had fallen out and was replaced.
The two wires going to the speaker had come off and were re-soldered.

Links to Photos:

Guitar and case #1 - http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/47674 ... 425Q85.jpg

Guitar in case #2 - http://inlinethumb06.webshots.com/36101 ... 425Q85.jpg

Close-up of Headstock - http://inlinethumb62.webshots.com/2365/ ... 425Q85.jpg

Markings on Neck Heel - http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/47366 ... 425Q85.jpg

Marking in Neck Pocket -
http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/46377 ... 425Q85.jpg

Outside of case - http://inlinethumb29.webshots.com/18908 ... 425Q85.jpg

Mick Jagger, The Who, Led Zep, and many classic musicians played the 1457 and it’s a sought after model these days. I’ve found these are selling between $660 to as high as almost $1200. I believe that Melissa Etheridge still plays a 1457 on occasion also, and so do some other modern artists. The model 1457 was reissued in 2008 but they only produced it for that year using modern materials.

This 1457 guitar with Amp-in-case is being sold AS IS!

Anyone interested please let me know... Thanks much!
Chant

by Spud1950 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:16 am

Spud1950

Return to Guitars and Gear For Sale or Trade

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts