[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Hello

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Hello

New to the Forum? Here is the place to let members know your collecting interests and musical background. Also, get to know some of the regular contributors to Forum discussions.

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by leebo » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:07 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been playing guitar, on-and-off, for about 15 years. Over the last year I have playing quite a bit and have been thinking about starting to collect some vintage/interesting guitars. That is one reason I joined this site, to get info for future purchases.

The other reason, is that I was hoping to get some info on my current guitar, which is also my first guitar. It's an 1987 Gibson Les Paul, but that's about all I know for sure, and I've never seen another one quite like it. I was told once that it's a studio lite, but it doesn't look like other studio lites that I've seen. I have pictures here...

The pics of the back of the headstock are blurry, but the SN# is 83457513. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I would specifically be interested to find out model, # made, approx value, make/model of pickups, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward visiting this forum often.
leebo

by simonm » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:33 am

Hi - glad to see new members, this is a great forum with lots of well-informed people. It doesn't get the traffic that the Gear Page gets, but it's quality, not quantity.

Gibson gtrs aren't really my area of interest, but it does look odd. I haven't seen pickups like that before - are they active maybe? Is there a battery compartment in the control cavity?

I'd recommend looking at the catalogs section - for a donation of $10 you can look at hundreds of pages of scans from the 40s and 50s to the 90s and beyond (I should have been a copywriter!). There's an '87 brochure in there (http://www.vintaxe.com/catalogs_american_gibson.htm). Gibson "diversified" a lot in the 80s.

You probably have this info alreadym, but according to http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx
your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
December 11st, 1987
Production Number: 13
simonm

Return to Greetings and Introductions

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts