The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Nice to Meet You!

New to the Forum? Here is the place to let members know your collecting interests and musical background. Also, get to know some of the regular contributors to Forum discussions.

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by DanMac » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:43 am

Hello All!

I am a new user here and can see myself spending a lot of my free time here. I have been playing guitar for more than 40 years and have a small collection of guitars. I am now wanting to sell most of my collection and replace it with some better quality, vintage guitars.

My collection:

1954 Gibson LG-1 Acoustic 6 string with pickup under the bridge - this is a player's guitar, doesn't look real pretty but plays and sounds great. I bought this guitar in Colorado about 5 years ago and it is my daily player.

1978 Yamaha FG 340 Acoustic 6 string that I have had since new. Still in very good condition, plays great and sounds better. It is the "real" 340 with the 3 piece back. All laminate, but probably the best sounding laminate acoustic around.

19?? Aria/Raven Acoustic 12 string. I have had this guitar for more than 30 years and it was old when I got it. Looks, plays, and sounds great. (I am currently looking for help dating this guitar, please see other post) It has had some work done to make it a player, but it has low action and plays like a breeze.

19?? Handmade guitar that I bought in Cuba about 7 or 8 years ago, yes Cuba, we Canadians are allowed to go there. It's really too bad we can't all go to Cuba, they have a fabulous music scene there! Anyway, the guitar is a small, classical 6 string with nylon strings. I carried this guitar all over Cuba, and one night I had everyone (including all the employees!) in the bus depot in Havana dancing to its music, quite a memory! This is not a nice looking or feeling guitar, but it is built like a brick shithouse and really sounds nice, it was great for travelling.

2000 Fender Dreadnaught Acoustic 6 string. Nothing special here, just lots of deep tones, nice to play and nicer to look at.

I know that I will have trouble parting with my old Gibson LG-1, but I think a Martin D-28 will be a good trade-up for my 6 string, and I am thinking a Guild 12 string will replace the Aria nicely. I am also looking to buy a Gibson Les Paul, unless someone convinces me that I really need something else instead. I play classic rock; country rock; country; blues; and a bit of folk, so I need a versatile guitar. Let me know if you think I'm going the wrong way with a Les Paul, I don't really know much about electrics other than I like the sound of the Les Paul. The only electric guitar that I have ever owned was an electric bass back in the 60's.

I have a bunch of other instruments too, banjo; mandolin; keyboards; and I play my harmonicas quite a bit while playing guitar. I have not played a gig since 1969, so I am a bit out of touch with reality but looking to get back into it. I hope to be able to get the time to read your posts and get to know some of you. Thanks for reading!
DanMac
DanMac

by VintAxe » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:21 pm

Welcome to the Forum DanMac. Several acoustic players here, I'm sure you'll receive plenty of opinions concerning your questions.
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Greetings and Introductions

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts