[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Mid 20s...but stuck in the 60s!!

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Mid 20s...but stuck in the 60s!!

New to the Forum? Here is the place to let members know your collecting interests and musical background. Also, get to know some of the regular contributors to Forum discussions.

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by hishiad » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:52 am

Hey everyone!

My name is Seth and I'm a somewhat still novice guitar type. I have two great guitars I got from my late grandfather (RIP) that I'm attempting to get in full playing condition. Which is how I stumbled upon this forum. Although small it seems like a really good community of knowledgeable folks.

My first project:

1963 Kay Speed Demon K573 Model (3 Pickups)

This beauty is in full playing condition with a few minor tweaks needed. I'm in the process of buying the correct bridge for it. The only other issue is that one of the volume pots has a broken off knob. I'm TRYING to find a wiring diagram for this guitar so I can hopefully put in new pots.

My second project:

1960s Alden Harmony Stratotone (1 pickup)

This guitar is in great condition and just has to be strung up to play. I used the floating bridge on it to put on my Kay to make sure all my pickups on the Kay were working. Basically this guitar is one I really like (semi-hollow body) so I'm going to not worry soo much about how "original" it is. It already has a newer pickup in it so I'm going to replace the pots and knobs and MIGHT put a new switch in it. I'm just not sure how to go about all this. Also looking to find a wiring diagram on it.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
hishiad

by Michael Ambrose » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:23 am

Hey Seth.

Welcome to the board!

I just "restored" a Speed Demon myself... Though I don't know if you'd call it a total resto job, as I didn't really do any finish work to it aside from buffing/polishing. I bought a gutted body and neck and added all the rest myself... And let me tell you... you're in for a fun time with that harness.

I have a hand-drawn diagram I used I could scan and post, but it won't really do you much good if you're not wiring up a 5-position rotary selector. (I have mine wired N-NM-M-MB-B like a Strat.)

There's a big thread in the Show and Tale section about it... take a look!

The broken pot... is it just the knob itself thats broken, or the pot shaft itself? Because honestly, if the pot still works and you still have the knob and shaft, you may just want to try super-gluing that sucker back on rather than pulling the pot and harness... unless, of course, you have one of the Speed Demons with a rear access panel!! (I'm not sure when they started doing that.)

I love Stratotones. Its one of my favorite guitars to "restore." (Note the quotations.) I've brought three back to life... again, check the Show and Tale section.

Post pix!!

Good luck!!

-mike.
Michael Ambrose

Return to Greetings and Introductions

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts