The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

'nother newbie here

New to the Forum? Here is the place to let members know your collecting interests and musical background. Also, get to know some of the regular contributors to Forum discussions.

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by joy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:43 am

Hi, everyone! I've lurked on the forum a bit, but decided to register so I could resurrect an old thread (about my beloved Japanese neck-thru Asama bass). My dad (who's died, so I can't ask him about it) bought me that bass 30 years ago when I was 19. I'd asked for a bass guitar so I could play simple punk riffs (the Clash, the Ramones) with friends. Which I did with abandon! Lots of fun back in the day.

This time I am determined to learn to really play. To that end, I picked up a short-scale bass for learning on. Rather than spend $800 (Canadian) on a Fender Mustang bass, I spent $160 Cdn on a Squier Bronco Bass. The plastic pick guard and plastic pick-up cover make it look like a toy, but I really love it anyway because it's so lightweight and easy to play! (My arms are a little short--I usually have to have sleeves altered.)

I'm really at the beginning, still learning the neck, playing major scales, and doing dexterity exercises. I picked up some good books on technique and theory so I get it right from the start and avoid bad habits.

Where I want to go with this is funky. I'm thinking Larry Graham, Bootsy Collins. That's a long way off!

I've overcome my delusions in life and finally recognized that music and animals are all that I care about. So, I've renewed my commitment and am determined to really learn it this time. I have a demanding job and a lot of responsibilities, so bass playing has to be in the category of "passionate hobby". I do have a number of musical friends so will likely have opportunities to jam when I get good enough.

I also sing and have done a bit of performing with my voice.

I'll go over to the Asama thread and post there so maybe someone can help me discover a little more about my old axe.

Joy
joy

Return to Greetings and Introductions

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts