The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Home at last

New to the Forum? Here is the place to let members know your collecting interests and musical background. Also, get to know some of the regular contributors to Forum discussions.

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by bob2 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:31 pm

Here I am, I've almost always been a musician, just not a succesful one. My first bass was a Univox violin bass, followed up quickly by a very well used Fender P bass. I had a friend I played with for years, we both liked guitars and spent a lot of time prowling pawn shops and music stores. I saw some great and really unusual guitars but never had any idea they would be worth anything. Finally that friendship ended over a girl and I got out of music for a couple of years. I had parted with the P bass and ended up buying an old Framus Star Bass, yeah just like Bill Wymans! In the mid '70s I worked at a fur company and started a band with one of the other employees, this was a fun band to be in and was a pretty good time for me. But sometime around 1980 I just walked into practise, said I quit, and that was all for that. Okay, right now I want to thank you for putting up with this so far. I was not collecting guitars yet but I had coveted many and would have owned more but I was also into drugs at the time, they don't go together! Back to story. I met Barry through his soon to be brother in law and we became quick friends and still are to this day. We started playing together and formed a band. This meant buying a P.A. and upgrading our own stuff which lead to, you guessed it, pawn shops and music stores. It all started with acoustic guitars and e-bay. Pretty soon I had a half dozen acoustic guitars and then I started buying basses. I lost out on many guitars by procrastinating, I wanted a Daion, Greco, Tokai, on and on. I had a huge want list but always thought I'd find a better price. I was also buying amps. I love Acoustic amps, and Sunn and Kustom. About seven years ago I seperated from the love of my life and decided to move to Georgia. I sold off almost all my guitars and amps to Barry. And now it's now. I have two acoustic guitars, an Alvarez and an Ibanez, two basses, a Fernandes and some weird Chinese neck thru that was only a hundred bucks, I also have my favorite Acoustic amp and a Sunn amp. I have the hunger to start again! I only came to this site to try and get my old Tokai guitar identified, but looking through all these posts has really got me thinking that a bad economy could make guitar collecting fun again. Like the Army says "There's collecting, and then there's guitar collecting"
bob2

Return to Greetings and Introductions

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts