The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Hello From NY

New to the Forum? Here is the place to let members know your collecting interests and musical background. Also, get to know some of the regular contributors to Forum discussions.

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by erikzen » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi! I came across this site when I was researching several guitars I saw on eBay and Craigslist. I am 47 and have been playing guitar on and off since I was about 12. I'm self taught and not a very good teacher, but when I was practicing regularly I was good enough to play rhythm guitar and sing in a classic rock band and actually got paid for it. Over the past ten years or so, I've hardly been playing at all, but at the urging of one of my old band mates have begun to dabble again a little.

I'm not really a guitar collector, but more of a pack rat so by default I have at least one guitar in my "collection" that could be considered vintage - a 1978 Kramer DMZ 3000. I also have a 1992 American Strat Plus Deluxe and a "big hair 80s" Kramer Striker 600ST.

I also have several acoustic guitars. My main one is a Tacoma Roadking purchased in the late 90s, and a Cimar which I bought around 1980 as my first acoustic. I also have several old classical guitars, one built by my grandfather (he wasn't a luthier, he just liked to build things) and a few others of unknown origin. Now that my interest in guitars has been rekindled I'll probably take a closer look at them.

But that's not really what led me to this site. In recent months, as my interest in playing has increased, I've also been thinking about getting another guitar. I've always liked the Gibson ES-335 but looking at the prices they seem pretty much out of reach, at least in the forseeable future.

As such I started looking at the Epiphone copies and played a few at local stores. They just weren't doing it for me so I started looking at used guitars. I started reading that some of the earlier Japanese and Korean guitars were better than the current Chinese made ones, or at least they were more consistent, so I started checking eBay and Craigslist for used guitars.

I put in a few bids on some eBay guitars but they went for more than I was willing to spend. I've also been scouring the websites of area guitar stores but everything seemed to be priced out of reach.

Then I saw a Vox Super Lynx that was from an estate sale of an ederly man on eBay. I put in my bid and lo and behold, for $360 I am now the owner of a mid 1960s hollow body. I won't go into details here since I haven't even taken possession of it yet, but I've already learned a lot about Vox guitars from this site.

I look forward to sharing more details about the guitar in the coming weeks and months.
erikzen

Return to Greetings and Introductions

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts