[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Hi All!

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Hi All!

New to the Forum? Here is the place to let members know your collecting interests and musical background. Also, get to know some of the regular contributors to Forum discussions.

Moderators: VintAxe, Phizix

by newey » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:46 pm

I'm new here to the forum so I thought I'd introduce myself.

Although I have about a dozen guitars around the house in various stages of repair/modification, I own only one vintage guitar, which I've already posted:

It was the second guitar I ever owned. My first was a single-pickup Norma, circa 1969. 3/4 neck, red burst finish, with the single pickup angled in the middle position. Paid $21.95 for it brand new after saving my allowance for months. Sold it to a friend for $15 two years later when I got the Univox shown in my post (If only I'd kept it . . .).

At the time the Norma was the cheapest (new) electric I could find- and I shopped around pretty good. Sears had a Silvertone single pickup for about $25-$26, and the single pickup tulip-style Teisco Del Ray was about the same at the local record store. Montgomery Ward had a single pickup Airline for about $25. So the Norma was about $3 cheaper, which was a lot of coin to a 12 year old kid in those days.

I was in a junior high garage band at the time. We were remarkably bad. Our repertoire was mostly CCR and Grand Funk RR. 3 guitarists, a drummer, no bass, couple of mikes which we ran through our guitar amps- pretty primitive! But we had fun anyway.

Equipment-wise, I had the aforementioned, played thru a Harmony solid state amp, the kind with the red terrycloth racing stripe woven in the grillcloth. Our lead guitarist played a Hagstrom I, with a red clamshell body. The top was fiberglass (or something) and the back of the body was wood covered with red Tolex. The other guy had well-to-do parents who bought him a Gretsch Tennessean, single cut with a dark natural finish- we all lusted after that axe!

The younger members of this forum may not realize it, but a Gretsch was an object of lust for us in the late '60's- early '70's. Fenders or Gibsons were great, certainly much better than what I had, but all the players I knew drooled over Gretsches, particularly the Chet Atkins Country Gentleman model with the master vol knob on the bout. George Harrison played one, Mike Nesmith had a White Falcon, all my guitar instructors played 'em- and all us kids wanted one. I still do, maybe if I hit the lottery . . .

Anyway, love the forum, and I hope to expand my vintage holdings soon.

Paul
newey

by mrblanche » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:20 am

I have a friend in Memphis, TN, whose license plateon his hot rod is "GRETSCH 120"

And yes, he is a musician!

mrblanche

by newey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:44 pm

Now, that is an old-school rod! Gotta love the classics . . . 8)
newey

Return to Greetings and Introductions

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts